Happy Birthday Lady Julia Child!

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 11:16 am
Happy Birthday, Julia Child!
Celebrating the woman who changed how we cook. Aug. 15 marks the 100th birthday of Julia Child.
http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Food/Stir-It-Up/2012/0815/Happy-Birthday-Julia-Child

Were you a devout follower of the queen of lard? Did you buy every book from the very prolific cookbook author? Were you constantly challenged by her recipes or too intimidated by her always seemingly complicated recipes? Is her style of cooking and hosting still relevant or is everything Julia Child kitchen dinosaurish?

Has anyone visited her kitchen at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History in Washington, D.C.?

Did you think Meryl Streep do Julia Child's justice when she portrayed her in her iconic performance in the Child's biopic, Julie & Julia (2009)?

Julia Child was a spy. Was she any good at it?
People remember Julia Child for her wit, charm, and cheer. But before Wednesday's Google Doodle, before her TV shows, and before she moved to Paris, Julia Child worked as an intelligence officer.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Innovation/Tech-Culture/2012/0815/Julia-Child-was-a-spy.-Was-she-any-good-at-it
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,647 • Replies: 8
No top replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 11:22 am
@tsarstepan,
She revolutionized my omelette-making process! love you Julia!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:06 pm
@tsarstepan,
Didn't see die? She can't be 100 then.

I doubt she was any good as spy seeing she sliced herself once on her cooking show - remember the great parody that Dan Aykroyd did on that one.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:33 pm
@Linkat,
I enjoyed her, back in the day, on tv. Saw her "kitchen" recreated at Copia, which was Mondavi's place (then) in the city of Napa. I liked a wine and food, um, seminar, better. Also liked Copia's landscaping.

There are others I wish I knew better too, such as the food writer Richard Olney, and a fellow named McGee, but never mind. Brava, Julia, I'm glad you were with us all.

jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:36 pm
@Linkat,
Yep, two days before her birthday, August 13, 2004, but she would be have been a hundred years old today.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:39 pm
@ossobuco,
I do remember watching her when I was a kid - those shows always made me hungry.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 01:48 pm
Excuse me, Julia -

Here's Richard Olney's garlic soup:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/richard-olneys-garlic-soup-recipe.html

To make it up to you, I'll pick one of yours out of my julia child cookbooks.

Nuts, I lied. I gave those away when I left northern california. They are probably in a friend's garage, or he sold them, the mad accumulator now trying to sell.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 02:29 pm
A very tasty Julia Child's link salad brought to you by the Grubstreet blog!
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/08/happy-100th-birthday-julia-child.html?e=grubstreet--20120815
jcboy

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 04:30 pm
@tsarstepan,
"If we could just have the kitchen and the bedroom, that would be all we need."
Julia Child.

http://www.tboblogs.com/index.php/life/comments/100-of-julia-childs-most-delicious-quotes-celebrating-her-100th-birthday/

Quote:
Today would have been Julia Child’s centennial birthday. The grand dame of American cooking died in August 2004, but her impact continues to be felt.

She has long since passed into legend, so it’s easy to forget that she was not only a phenomenal cook and teacher, she also had a flair for writing that was unusual for her time. Before New Journalism took hold of food writing, she and contemporaries such as James Beard and Craig Claiborne were making fine cooking at home a more approachable, less intimidating task.

Julia, I think, was most effective because she hid none of her flaws in the glare of television. She didn’t start her cooking career until her late 30s, a fact that made her even more endearing and real. But the glare of television and the enormity of her culinary celebrity obscured the fact that her writings - especially her landmark cookbook “Mastering the Art of French Cooking” - were as simple, direct and easy to digest as her beloved French food. Every word shows how diligent and meticulous she was in getting every flavor just right so it could be enjoyed in her reader’s home. She was expert yet not overwhelming. Her words had visual flourishes that bespoke someone who lived to find new flavors. Curiosity dripped from the pages. The happiness she enjoyed from tasting, from the task of cooking and then seeing the reaction of her guests were as elemental to her as salt and pepper. Even more rare, she was equally as brilliant with the spoken word as she was with the pen. For some reason, when Julia said things, they had a special resonance. Eight years after her passing, they only grow in stature.

Here now is a collection of her most savory words about life, love and cooking.
0 Replies