Is American Capitalism a System of Wage Slavery?

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 10:17 am
I say that it is....what do you think? I say that it borders on ownership of the populace,and certainly is true for the crappier jobs,with lower pay.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,760 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 10:41 am
Other than some types of situations which exploit illegal immigrants, you have no basis to allege slavery. "Wage slavery" is an ironic expression which does not actually describe slavery. You always have the option to quit, to walk away, to move to another area to seek employment. Do capitalists exploit peoples' ignorance, illiteracy, fears, evident needs? Certainly many of them will. Does that constitute slavery? Hardly.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:44 pm
@Etherman50,
The term "wage slavery" is a very ill-defined concept. Perhaps you could define it.

In one sense, anyone not in business for oneself but, rather, working for a wage, sallary or other remuneration is a "wage slave."
0 Replies

Etherman50

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:21 pm
@Etherman50,
I just meant that about 70% of my family hates their jobs,and each of them has used the word "slavery" in their description of why they hated their jobs. As I alluded to,if you love your job(and or,are paid very well),then this description doesn't apply to you at all. However,if your soul despises the work you do,and you make very little money-wise doing the job-and there is an extreme sense of INvoluntariness about it,then the term "wage slave" seems immensely appropriate in these cases. MR
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 05:54 pm
@Etherman50,
Well, by that definition any economic system you name is prone to wage slavery, certainly including American capitalism. It's a sad fact that all over the face of this planet (and particularly in industrialized societies) most people hate their jobs and do what they do only to make a living and keep body and soul together. In most cases it's not actually the fault of the system but, rather, the fact the people in the system have no particular marketable skills that would make them enjoy the work they have to do.

The problem is not with capitalism. I'm sure that there are just as many people in Castro's Cuba and in No. Korea who hate what they do for a living and have a hard time making ends meet. This world is not a Utopia, no matter under what economic system you strive to make a living.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Is American Capitalism a System of Wage Slavery?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:07:25