"Re-prints" Am I Just Being Cheap???

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:32 pm
Took my 5 year old to Disney's Magic Kingdom yesterday.

Of course, as always, she's big into the princess (cindy, ariel, aurora, etc) & wanted me to buy framed prints of them (around 20 bucks a pop). Something within me just will not let me do that....spending nearly 100 bucks for 4-5 princess prints.

I came home, scoured the web for coloring sheets of the princess that would print out with clean dark lines. Saved the blank images to my pc, colored them in exactly like they are using psp (thanks to RGB matching & www.disney.com), put their names on them and framing them in complimenting frames & they look good - sell worthy I might add. But they're just for her wall. I really see it as a frugal way to get her the same (even better w/ the colored framing) results. Sort of like 'improved' upon coloring projects of your kids that you'd hang on their walls.

Do you think I'm justing being cheap???, should I go on and plunk down the bucks for the 'originals' ???

Have you ever done anything like this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 745 • Replies: 19
No top replies

soserene

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:42 pm
Firstly, she probably doesn't know the difference.

Secondly,..in my opinion.. not only are you not being "cheap" but should she save them as keepsakes, the time and effort and love that you put into it will mean so much more than whether or not you shelled out a ridiculous 100 bucks for a few pictures.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:44 pm
The word you are fumbling for is "thrifty". Thrift is an old fashioned virtue that never goes out of style.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:46 pm
I agree entirely with Soserene: $100 for a few pictures, that probably cost thirty cents to make, is extortionate.

I think that the effort that you made, Onyxelle, to get those pictures for your daughter, scouring the internet to find a decent deal, means more than buying them for $100 ever could.

0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:50 pm
You are under no legal, moral, or financial obligation to support Michael Eisner in the style he has become accustom to.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:53 pm
Good one, Acquink! Laughing

Onyx, my only concern, as an artist, would be copyright infringement of the art you pulled off the web. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:56 pm
that's why i was thinking isn't it pretty much the same as printing out coloring sheets (that came from the disney website) and hung those?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 02:58 pm
Sounds good to me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:25 pm
You aren't offering the pictures for sale--or even for public display. I don't think The Mouse has any right to murmur and you need feel no guilt.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:28 pm
Oh, don't worry about it at all, onyxelle. Sounds like a great idea to me.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:34 pm
Print 'em out with just the black lines, and let onyxfille do the coloring herslef
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 03:50 pm
Seal Poet--

I like "Onyxfille".
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 05:49 pm
Onyxelle, she'll love them.
How do you feel about painting the walls? Get the same black and white design and transfer it to an overhead or a big stencil. Imagine, lifesize princesses.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 07:28 pm
Onyxelle--you are great!!

If you had plunked down $100.00 bucks and then asked us if you were stupid...I wouldn't have answered because I'm too wimpy, but I would have thought to myself, "Yeah, that was really stupid."

You have shown your creativity and love. Soseren said it perfectly--your daughter will treasure those pictures when she's older because of what you put into them.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:16 pm
Disney is not the only entity that can create memories.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 08:26 pm
Re: "Re-prints" Am I Just Being Cheap???
onyxelle wrote:
Took my 5 year old to Disney's Magic Kingdom yesterday.

Of course, as always, she's big into the princess (cindy, ariel, aurora, etc) & wanted me to buy framed prints of them (around 20 bucks a pop). Something within me just will not let me do that....spending nearly 100 bucks for 4-5 princess prints.

I came home, scoured the web for coloring sheets of the princess that would print out with clean dark lines. Saved the blank images to my pc, colored them in exactly like they are using psp (thanks to RGB matching & www.disney.com), put their names on them and framing them in complimenting frames & they look good - sell worthy I might add. But they're just for her wall. I really see it as a frugal way to get her the same (even better w/ the colored framing) results. Sort of like 'improved' upon coloring projects of your kids that you'd hang on their walls.

Do you think I'm justing being cheap???, should I go on and plunk down the bucks for the 'originals' ???

Have you ever done anything like this?

Hey, that is fine thrifty and legal - what you're doing is "personal use." Just don't try to sell them.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 10:28 pm
Portal - would NEVER do so. Thanks you guys.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 23 Feb, 2004 11:42 pm
I agree with the others. Way to go Ony ;-)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2004 09:51 am
eoe wrote:
Good one, Acquink! Laughing

Onyx, my only concern, as an artist, would be copyright infringement of the art you pulled off the web. Rolling Eyes

That might be an issue, eoe, if copyright notice was published and she was selling the prints she copied. But if it's for her personal use, it's okay. The web is considered "public domain" by most courts.

I agree with everyone else. What you did was just plain smart, and you have one lucky daughter!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2004 08:38 pm
Onyxelle,

you have proved two things, firstly that you are a caring mum who spends whatever time it takes with her young daughter, and secondly that you are not one of the sheep that just hands over their hard earned money simply because a con man has the gall to ask you to do so.

Let the flock baaaa baaaaa baaaa all they want to, bring your child up to have the right values.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Re-prints" Am I Just Being Cheap???
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 01:53:21