How do set up a router at home?

Fri 3 Aug, 2012 07:59 am
Hi friends,

I just bought a mini laptop and in order to get internet I have to make a router at home. How do i set one up? Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot,
Steven
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 989 • Replies: 3
Topic Closed
No top replies

engineer

Fri 3 Aug, 2012 08:08 am
@Steven Arnold,
If you buy a router it will come with straightforward instructions for installing and setting up security. I'd recommend doing that then come back if you have any questions. The instructions will vary slightly depending on what you buy.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Fri 3 Aug, 2012 08:25 am
@Steven Arnold,
Most consumer-grade routers are pre-configured so that all you have to do is:

1. Connect your Internet connection.
2. Connect your laptop.
3. Power on the device.

Sometimes it can take a minute or two for the device to power up.

Wireless setup can be more involved, but as engineer states, they have very straightforward instructions.
parados

Fri 3 Aug, 2012 09:09 am
@DrewDad,
Depending on your internet connection type, you will probably need your username and password provided by your internet service provider.

Often tech support at your ISP can help you if you run into problems. In some cases they require registering your device with them if it is the primary connection as they may restrict access to a specific MAC address. It is also possible to spoof that MAC address if they want to charge you extra for more than one device.Some ISPs used to charge per device but most have gone away from that.
0 Replies