GW Bush and Laura Bush in Africa

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:23 pm
Nobody despises the presidency of George W Bush more I do. But, as with Lyndon B Johnson, whose presidency I loathed the same amount, almost, there are pluses to the person. He and Laura are involved in fighting aids in Africa, these days.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,309 • Replies: 10
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 25 Jul, 2012 06:29 pm
The focus of their time out of the White House, she (Laura) said, will be building off the success of the PEPFAR (President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief) and continuing to work to fight AIDS in Africa and worldwide. President Bush worked to pledge $15 billion in American tax dollars to the program as president and now gets bipartisan kudos for the effort. He and Laura recently completed a trip to Africa where they helped bring attention to the issue and even got in some manual labor, painting a rural health clinic in Zambia.

“George of course still has the convening power of any former president of the U.S. And– that’s why we can– now spend the– rest of our lives with the Bush Institute in Dallas, working on issues that were important to us when he was president. We’re out of politics, but we’re still interested in policy and– and global health, obviously.”

They also plan initiatives through the Bush Institute dealing with education reform, human freedom and economic growth. Laura Bush said they will build off their work on AIDS to help women in developing countries screen for cervical cancer.

It’s hard to imagine Congress today with the long-stagnant economy and the emphasis of the Tea Party – enacting a $15 billion foreign aid bill, but Mrs. Bush said she’s confident that money would still be approved.
farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:15 am
@edgarblythe,
I was hoping that hed be rehabed in a few years. Its a start. It took Nixon bout 15 years before they strted putting up the
"Hes tan,
Hes rested,
Hes ready" tee shirts
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 06:00 am
@edgarblythe,
Good on them for doing something decent with their retirement. A far cry from Reagan who took how long to acknowledge AIDS was an issue?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 06:47 am
@edgarblythe,
Personally whether you like or dislike the policies of former Presidents or how well they performed as the President, doesn't mean they are "bad" people. I've seen/read many things that Laura Bush has done and she does seem to have a good heart in trying to help others. You may not agree with her conservative points of view, but she does genuiely seem to want to help others.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 12:04 pm
Bush had some progressive ideas during his presidency (e.g. AIDS, immigration, the Papahanaumokuakea Marine National Monument, etc.) and it wouldn't have been such a dismal failure had he not allowed himself to be manipulated by the neo-cons in his administration.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 12:29 pm
@edgarblythe,
Sure. I think Jimmy Carter was one of the worse presidents we ever had. He is also likely the finest ex-president we have ever had.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 12:48 pm
Bush was shown painting on TV. It looked a bit like the clips of Carter working on the Habitat homes.
roger

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 02:04 pm
@edgarblythe,
Well yes, but I think they both meant well.

0 Replies

nqyringmind

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 03:48 pm
https://encrypted-tbn1.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGm3iGc_fywf4TRc9Cv3Em12Hhq6M__qeuTQmFFDtjyzpaaujCkQ
"Geroge Bush (should not attempt to dance) like Black People"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Jul, 2012 04:49 pm
@edgarblythe,
Good for them (that's sincere).
0 Replies