The Role of Literacy in Political Development

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:20 pm
Citizens, especially in emerging nations, vary in their ability to read complex material and to express their ideas in writing. Several nations today are in the process of transforming from autocratic regimes to governments where citizens have more of a voice. Literacy benefits the citizen in making government more responsive to his or her needs. Literate citizens are more aware of their legal rights and are better able to participate in the political process.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,946 • Replies: 8
No top replies

mysteryman

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:31 pm
@wandeljw,
I see nothing in your statement to disagree with, so I am a little confused.
What type of reaction are you looking for?
George

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:38 pm
Perhaps he's waiting for the illiterate to post their rebuttals.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:39 pm
@mysteryman,
I am looking for examples of higher literacy rates improving the chances that a new political system will survive. Obviously there is great political change going on right now in the Middle East. Citizens of African nations, Eastern European nations and China are also experiencing a transition to a political system that allows more individual freedom.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:43 pm
i love it when i see elections from around the world and the politicians have little pictures nest to their names so folks who are less than literate can know who to vote for

i'd like to see that implemented here in Canada, of course if i designed the ballot everyone's name would have this picture next to it

http://profile.ak.fbcdn.net/hprofile-ak-snc4/276436_180384198690460_3302860_n.jpg
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 18 Jun, 2012 01:46 pm
National Public Radio recently commented on the role of literacy in helping Afghans transition to a more stable political system.

Quote:
The U.S. and NATO hope to build up the Afghan military and leave the country in their hands by 2014. Afghans are participating: People want a paycheck, so they’re joining the armed forces and the police.

But there’s a major piece missing. It’s estimated that only 28 percent of the Afghan population can read. Literacy rates among Afghan forces recruits are even lower, estimated at about 10 to 15 percent.
RABEL222

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 08:35 am
@wandeljw,
Gee, I thought that you were pointing out that the U.S. citizens were devoloving.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:57 am
In the 1960's Paulo Freire, a Brazilian educator, wrote Pedagogy of the Oppressed for poor Brazilian peasants and workers who were excluded from the political process. Freire coined the term "critical consciousness" an in-depth understanding of the world that would liberate the poor from oppression and advance their participation in the political process.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2012 08:20 am
The Read Educational Trust promotes literacy in South Africa. Their mission statement outlines the political benefits of increased literacy:
Quote:
The empowering potential of literacy can translate into increased political participation and contribute to the quality of public policies and democracy.

Political participation: The relationship between education and political participation is well established. Educated people are to some extent more likely to vote and voice more tolerant attitudes and democratic values (Hannum and Buchmann, 2003).

Ethnic equality: Although it appears no research exists into the impact of literacy on ethnic equality, literacy certainly has the potential to benefit disadvantaged ethnic groups but will not necessarily do so. It is not safe to assume that expansion in access to education will allow disadvantaged minorities to ?catch up? with initially advanced ethnic groups, at least in the short run (Hannum and Buchmann, 2003).

Democracy: the precise nature of the relationship between education and democracy remains unclear but studies suggest that the more learners know about democratic institutions, the more likely they are to plan on voting as adults.

Post-conflict situations: Literacy programmes can have an impact on peace and reconciliation in post-conflict contexts. Mobilizing people?s capacity for resilience by having them write down their experiences and share them with others helps those affected by conflict to come to terms with their trauma and move towards constructive action.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Role of Literacy in Political Development
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 01:59:16