Modern superstitions

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 07:00 am
"Born Under a Bad Sign"

I was born under a sign that said "Deposit Litter Here." Is that significant?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2004 09:17 am
Astrology is hit or miss, and it is fun. Somthing that rarely hits for me/people I know is the Chinese zodiac. Maybe I have to be Chinese.

I do the salt-over-the shoulder thing sometimes.

I also touch the cieling of the car when I go under a yellow light (modified from somthing I used to do in childhood.)

I am not really afraid of these things, and I don't really believe in them - I think it satisfies some mythical part of my human brain Smile.

My grandmother says if you drop a spoon you'll get company, and if your nose itches you'll get money.

Old Yiddish-speaking Jewish people will sometimes say "Akinahorah" after bragging about somthing, to detract "the evil eye."
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 03:33 pm
truth
Portal Star, Mexican peasants also have gestures and statements to make in order to ward of the evil eye of envy.

Acquiunk, I'm so happy for you, that she "dumped" you. I was once dumped by a woman who, from the perspective of time, would have made me a miserable wife (and I would have made her a miserable husband). I also think that some divorces are made in heaven.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 03:53 pm
Please weigh in on my poll:

http://able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=569112#569112

Joe
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 04:31 pm
I am very fearful of tempting providence - which I guess is a bit like the evil eye of envy?

True! I am! I know it is pathetic - but there it is.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:08 pm
Interesting...my mother always said an itchy nose was a sign of going to be kissing a fool, or something else which I cant remember--and she had the spoon, knife, fork ones as well however they escape me now.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:11 pm
Dropped silverware means company is coming. The wide-bladed knive is a woman, the biciferated fork is a man and a spoon is a child.

An inch worm on your arm is measuring you for new clothes.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:21 pm
I heard somewhere that you are supposedly going to come into some money if you either have a dream about your teeth falling out or if you have a dream about bleeding. I can't remember which it is. Has anyone heard that one?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 05:23 pm
Thanks Noddy...that would have kept me wondering for days
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 08:02 pm
Don't be silly..

If you drop a spoon there will be company.
If you drop a fork there will be lots of company.
If you drop a knife there will be a fight.

Itchy ears means someone is talking about you.

Itchy nose means you've been sticking it where it dosen't belong.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2004 11:52 pm
Step on a crack, break your mother's back! Remember that one? How terrifying that was!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 06:55 am
Joe Nation--

We'll have to disagree about the esoteric meanings of plummeting silverware.

An itchy palm means you're going to get money.

Whistling backstage will bring bad luck.

If you pass a white horse and don't think of his tail, you'll come into a great deal of money.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sat 21 Feb, 2004 08:07 am
Ringing ears means someones talking about you
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 08:44:43