Able2Know members and School Projects

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 10:32 am
caprice wrote:
But aren't you bothered by the fact that there may be some kids who are just lazy to do research on their own?

Nope. Laziness is a virtue that needs to be encouraged, not frowned at. Hard work and originality have their uses, but they are waaay overhyped in the learning and teaching business. Like Roger, when somebody asks me homework type questions, I always point to sources, but I don't always explain stuff myself. (Because -- repeat -- laziness is a virtue in learning and teaching.)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 11:35 am
Why is laziness a virtue?

I answer questions in the first scenario (could you help me with...?) that patio mentioned, but usually not when it comes to demands. I have noticed that quite a number people actually do not respond to the answer with a little word of thanks:-- I remember responding to the question, 'Which book ends with '--deadly, said Derek' three times...

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 11:40 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

Because laziness, properly applied, makes you get results with less effort, and effort sucks.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 11:48 am
I like effort.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 12:13 pm
Human civilization is built on laziness.....

"Oh Erg, I don't WANNA heave that carcase all the way back to the cave on my back.....wait....those two sticks......hmmmm.....maybe if I just try putting this skin over them.....hmmmmm.....I could DRAG the carcase....and YOU could help, too, Erg...."

Voila - travois - laziness.....

lol

But I am actually sorta serious....
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 01:57 pm
I admit to being ambivalent about these homework questions. Looking for ideas, help, sources seems fine. Looking for the answer seems less fine.

As for laziness. A former boss of mine said that the best way to get a quick and good solution to a sticky problem is to assign it to a smart, lazy person. She may have been right.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 02:09 pm
I think the best response to a homework question one doesn't want to answer is to ignore it, rather than get all snippy about it. But it's true, some of these kids seem to think they struck gold when they found this site, in terms of getting the research they need all in one place.

A few weeks ago, I helped my friend's daughter write a paper on "Huck Finn". Since I read the book back in college, I had to drag it out to make sure my memories matched up with the actual text. I pointed her in a direction that I thought would be fruitful and left it at that. I think that kind of help is fine to offer, and I would do so here...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 06:44 pm
To paraphrase Dave Atell, who no doubt was paraphrasing someone else: "If I want directions, I'm not asking a jogger. I'm asking a guy with one leg, because you know that he knows the shortest way to get there."
0 Replies

margo

Reply Tue 17 Feb, 2004 08:19 pm
Thomas wrote:
dròm_et_rêve wrote:

Because laziness, properly applied, makes you get results with less effort, and effort sucks.

Razz Go, Thomas!~ Very Happy
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 10:19:55