The difference between ceremony and ritual....

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 04:52 pm
Today I was clicking around and came across a lovely profile of Mr. Rogers written by Tom Junod (who is always worth reading -- you can read this piece here, if you want: http://www.pittsburghinwords.org/tom_junod.html).

Later as I wandered around I was thinking Mr. Rogers lived his life like it was a ceremony, that every action was planned.

Then I started thinking about ritual. Again, it's all planned, but to me it has a different context, even though I can't put my finger on why it does.

So I started thinking about making coffee.

When I get up in the morning I put the water in the coffee maker, heat up the milk, brew the cup and enjoy. That's my ritual.

Meanwhile my friend K. picks the right bean to match her mood, grinds it to the consistency for whatever method of preparation she's chosen to use that day, heat the water to just the right temperature, and chooses the right condiments for that cup. Almost like a tea house Geisha. It's very ceremonial.

I guess, to me, a ritual is like a habit; a ceremony is like worship.

Mr. Rogers lived his life in worship, is my conclusion.

Do you make a distinction between these two words?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,287 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 05:01 pm
A ceremony can be conducted by someone with a scrap of paper in their hand telling them what to do. A ritual requires arcane knowledge both of the process and what it symbolizes. That's my take, anyway.
boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2012 05:03 pm
@Setanta,
Kinda backwards from the way I was thinking -- that ceremony trumps ritual.

That's why I was asking, to help me clarify. More to chew on. Thanks!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The difference between ceremony and ritual....
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/08/2024 at 12:09:50