Defense of Marriage Act Ruled Unconstitutional!

MMarciano

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:16 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

The old model was that one should persuade people to vote for referenda one agreed with or for congressmen who would pass laws in line with one's beliefs.

You don’t have a clue what you’re talking about you repulsive piece of republican garbage! The will of the majority cannot me opposed on the minority. You ignorant piece of ****!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:19 pm
You don't vote on rights. A right is a right, irrespective of whehter it is momentarily unpopular with some segment of society or not. Segregation was voted into law by all the Southern states, but even tho that was done by the "democratic process" (in some peculiar sense, since very very few blacks were allowed on the voting rolls there), it was still unconstitutional, tho it took the USSC most of a century to fess up to that. Bans on gay marriage violate equal rights under law, so increasing numbers of courts are following the letter of the law and ruling them unconstitutional, bacause YOU DON'T VOTE ON RIGHTS.

To repeat what I've said before. the MA Supreme Judicial Court ruled that gay marriage was legal under the MA Constitution, guaranteeing equal treatment for all. We've never voted on it, BECAUSE IT IS A RIGHT UNDER OUR CONSTITUTION. We've never had to. Shortly after the ruling, the Boston Globe did a survey and found support for marriage equality ran in the mid 60 percent range over the state. Several calls for a Consitutional Convention to amend the Constitution foundered for lack of support. Twelve of the thirteen loudmouth state politicians who opposed the ruling were voted out of office the next time they ran. That was remarkably effective at shutting down the shrill antis in the legislature.

Massachusetts was the first. The Commonwealth hasn't fallen. Marriage hasn't been devalued, AND NO ONE GIVES A **** THAT GAYS ARE GETTING MARRIED. We reserve our angst for important issues , like why the Red Sox fell apart this year, not whether someone loves someone else. If they do, that's their business, and more power and happiness to them.

We started the first Revolution, and we started this one too. Get in or get the hell out of the way.

repeated calls for a Constitutional
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Fri 19 Oct, 2012 10:27 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:

I believe that the citizens have the right to pass laws by public debates and majority votes. When a handful of people can nullify the vote of millions based on attributing things to the Constitution which aren't there, it isn't democracy anymore.

That's the basic argument that conservatives made in support of segregation laws in the US.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 02:40 am
@Brandon9000,
Got a factual basis for your claim? Two of the three justices in this case were appointed by Republicans--one by Reagan and one by the younger Bush. Oh yeah, you're gonna convince me with an emotive appeal to partisan prejudice rather than cold, hard facts. (Insert rolly-eyed emoticon here.)
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 03:49 am
The Puerto Rican had too much firewater last night. Mixing that with an evening of having to look at Anthony’s hair would make anyone livid.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 05:16 am
@tsarstepan,
tsarstepan wrote:

Thanks for the update JC. Smile

It's a good step in the right direction and I hope it sends a message to speaker Boehner that no matter how much hate money you throw around you can't stand on bigotry and back it with a legitimate excuse of fear of being educated or in his case lack of being educated.

Same Sex Marriage is like a new car, "If you don't want one, then don't get one!".
Cool
RABEL222

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 02:15 pm
@jcboy,
Also for contraception and abortion, although if it was me I would opt for having a child. But dont think I have the right to make that decision for others.
0 Replies

Keith424

Reply Sat 20 Oct, 2012 04:10 pm
@MMarciano,
Give the conservative republicans bigots hell Marco!
0 Replies