What was your first paid job as a teenager (or earlier perhaps)?

thack45

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 04:54 pm
@George,
George wrote:

The dishwashing machine in the cafeteria of Suffolk Downs was a
conveyer-belt kind of thing. The dirty dishes were put into racks,
given a pre-rinse, then sent through the machine. When they came
out through the curtain of canvas strips at the other end, some poor
soul got a face full of steam and fingers full of pain as he unracked
them. In the summer of '59, that poor soul was me.

That perfectly describes my second job, though it was at a retirement home.

My first job was a year earlier in the linens dept at a place i'll call schmurlington schmoat schmactory.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 05:14 pm
I got three jobs when I turned 12. I babysat the worst brat on the planet. I delivered newspapers after school and I worked at a bingo on friday nights, selling coffee and donuts in a church basement.
boomerang

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 06:11 pm
Other than odd jobs my first job was at a notorious blues/jazz club as a bus girl. I was 15. I LOVED it. I made an outrageous amount of money. I would work until 2 or 3 o'clock every Friday and Saturday. During the summers I'd work full time on any shift they would give me. By the time I graduated from high school I was bar tending and making serious bank.

I worked there off and on forever -- maybe about 10 years. I'd take semesters off for school and always knew that if I showed up I'd have a job the next day.

My college education doesn't compare to the education I got from working there.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 06:15 pm
While in the seventh grade, I was given a job in the cafeteria, running the dishwasher. For this I was given my lunch and a small amount of money. In the tenth grade, I did it again at a different school. After that, we moved to Texas and I pulled weeds for a couple up the road a piece. Then the next door neighbor paid me to help him scrape his siding for painting. He was upset when I quit after two days to take my first real job, helping my grandfather and two uncles build houses.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 06:26 pm
I never had a job as a teenager. My mom was sick throughout my teen age years so I spent most of my time after school at home.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 06:57 pm
@Ceili,
Ceili wrote:

I worked at a bingo on friday nights, selling coffee and donuts in a church basement.

omg, I did that too!

That was a privilege reserved for the big 8th graders. We worked for tips. We walked around with carts serving coffee, donuts and probably some kind of candy. I think we'd get a nickle or if they were a big spender, a dime.
Man, you hadda be careful timing your transaction for when the caller wasn't saying a number. Those bingo ladies were a tough crowd.

First paycheck job was working at a pizza joint on the Point Pleasant boardwalk.

Hey look!
There's Snookie!

http://static.flickr.com/3003/2744861655_bbdf60c915.jpg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 08:15 pm
My first job, which started the day I turned sixteen, was taking mini xrays of patients entering or leaving a hospital. Those leaving had been busy about to give birth on their arrival or missed getting the xray because they were admitted at some hour the mini-film area was closed. That was all about screening for tb.

I wore a lead apron (oof) while running the machine and developed the xrays in the radiology dark room, took the radiologist's dictation re the films. After that, more hospital jobs - one conducting a med records survey, another as a hospital cashier, next an admitting clerk, and last a reservations clerk (assigning beds). That was after school 3 days a week and full weekend days, full summer days - until I graduated from university. Towards the end of that stretch I worked in an internist's office during the week after school (desk, phone, packaging pills, doing ekgs, miscellaneous). and still worked weekends at the hospital. I was often tired as there were many bus rides along with the work.

A lot of that was fun -all the xray stuff was interesting, and the office jobs later were fun because of the co-workers. Those different jobs in the same place were good for me as a shy kid - because of the patients I got away from being so self concerned.. That all set me up for generally liking work, a good thing as working would go on for nearly ever.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 09:53 pm
I worked as a custodian in the summer before my junior year in highschool AT the very same highschool I attended. Newt Gingrich would be proud.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:26 pm
Babysitting for neighbors when I was 13. It was about at the same time I started making craft projects and selling them to friends...feather flowers and decoupage purses and key rings with traffic sign artwork. They were very cute, if I do say so myself.
DrewDad

Reply Tue 15 May, 2012 10:35 pm
@boomerang,
Yup. Busboy at 15. Tons of cash. Learned a LOT about life. Ended up quitting at 17, after the manager allowed my tips to get stolen several times.

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 07:38 am
@Eva,
Eva wrote:

Babysitting for neighbors when I was 13.

I babysat once when I was in 7th or 8th grade.

As you can imagine, it was a total disaster.

Blood will run.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 16 May, 2012 08:54 am
@Mame,
How was business? Did you actually sell alot of that crap? What type of people bought it?
0 Replies

sheranudeep

Reply Fri 18 May, 2012 03:13 am
@tsarstepan,
Distributing newspaper
0 Replies

jasperraff

Reply Sun 20 May, 2012 01:37 am
@tsarstepan,
I worked at a fastfood chain as a crew. It's silly because I look to young than the others and everyone knew that I am just a newbie with how I look and how I act. I quit after a few months though. Smile
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 09:35 am
Let's see.
We never got paid for doing anything around the house whether it was shoveling snow(every fricking Winter)
weeding the gardens(every fricking Spring)
or painting the balustrades around the big front porch and the picket fence(every fricking Summer)
or raking the leaves(every fricking Fall)
to say nothing of the running to the corner store, the drycleaners, the pharmacy and any other place which suited my parent's needs.
Until we were twenty, my brothers and I thought our names were "Right now" Hey, you" and "BeckandCall."

Money?
Heck yes, we could make money.....and 90% went into 'your college fund', so if you worked all afternoon making $10 shoveling snow, (ours had to be done first) you got to keep one buck.
So,
Age 7 or 8 shoveled snow $1-2 a walk, $2 for a driveway
Age 8 for sure ~mowed lawns with a push mower $1.50 back yard $1. front yard.
Age 9 Paper Route Hartford Times, Manchester Herald (M-S 96 customers, cleared about $10. week including tips)
Age 11 Put Fuller Brush Catalogs in people's doors //a penny a piece, could do about 100 doors in about two hours. (Only four or five times a year.)
Age 10-12 Did all of the above waiting for the day I turned 13.
Age 13~finally old enough to pick strawberries and work in tobacco fields.
Worked all summer, made $20-$30 a week
Also threw the paper route every day after getting off the farm buses.
Age 15 - got a job making Bess Eaton donuts on the weekends. Go in at 10:30 Friday night and work until 11AM Saturday, go back in 11PM Saturday and work until 2PM Sunday afternoon. $2.00 an hour.
Got job working at produce supermarket Monday-Friday after school. $2.50 a hour.
4-9pm. On Fridays went from supermarket right to the donut shop.

(Until I quit when I decided I would like to go to a movie with a girl once in awhile.)

Age 17- Got a summer job work at Iona Manufacturing Company which is a really funny answer when someone asks you where you work?
(pause)
Shown how to make fields for electric motors.
Stack up laminations (thin pieces of steel)and place in a holding device.
Use hammer and punch to drive two rivets through some holes to hold laminations. Stack, press, Bang, Bang-- you'd made one field. You get .04 cents. wow.
Then they told me they would pay me for as many as I could make.
(heh heh)
The previous recorder holder was 588 fields in eight hours.
My first day I made 1203.
And all of them passed inspection.
After pushing mowers and snow shovels, hauling two bags of papers or catalogs, lifting racks of strawberries or semi-bales of tobacco, stacking crates of watermelon and working a donut fryer at 4AM, making those fields was the easiest money I'd ever made.

Joe(I thought I was the king of the world)Nation

chai2

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 11:07 am
@Joe Nation,
Joe Nation wrote:

Money?
Heck yes, we could make money.....and 90% went into 'your college fund', so if you worked all afternoon making $10 shoveling snow, (ours had to be done first) you got to keep one buck.

Que up to 2:30.

Laughing

chai (was any of that money actually used for college joe?)tea
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 07:30 pm
Quote:
chai (was any of that money actually used for college joe?)tea

Every dime went to a year and half at Emerson College in the Back Bay of Boston.
Joe(a good town to get lost in)Nation
Baldimo

Reply Mon 21 May, 2012 08:16 pm
My first taxable income would have been as a janitor at a few of my grandfathers industrial buildings in Chicago. That was one hell of a summer, I learned what honest work was, and I got to dodge gangbangers.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 06:06 am
@Joe Nation,
You did ALL that work for only a MERE year and a half's worth of tuition?! Crikey! Shocked
rosborne979

Reply Tue 22 May, 2012 06:09 am
@tsarstepan,
I was a Handyman for a chair company. I was there a year or two if I remember correctly. And I think I only worked during the summertime.
0 Replies