How many words do we use in a lifetime?

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:08 am
Oh, he TALKS, bless him - more in response though - it is just I get to finish MY sentences. Feels weird...

It is funny how he reacts when he has talked what seems to me a normal amount - then looks shocked, and says I am getting him to talk too much, about things he normally doesn't talk about.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:19 am
This is sweet and good, D.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:26 am
LOL! Only waaaaay casual, I assure you! Still, I may leave him talking when I go....heehee...
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 01:51 am
I can totally relate to not being able to finish a sentence. He sounds like a fine fella.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 02:00 am
I canna find anything useful re the amount spoken, dammit - in general I mean.

LOL! I dinna mind not being able to finish a sentence so much.

One of the most enjoyable dinners I ever had was when a group of us got together in Melbourne, during a conference - it was current and ex-workmates, and the odd partner - and the friend of one of us. Equal mix of genders.

Nobody ever stopped talking (except the poor friend - who never started!) - there were always at least three subjects on the go at once, which we were all involved in, everybody listened to everyone else, we just all kept speaking. Funny thing is, when you know people that well, you know what they mean very quickly, so it all moved very fast.

It was abslutely hilarious - I laugh a lot, but I laughed myself sore that night - and learned a lot of stuff.

At one point somebody said "Why won't you STOP and listen to me?" We all chorused, "We ARE listening to you!" - which sort of proved the point.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 04:13 am
The amount of talking I do is inversely proportional to the number of people present. Smile Although one thing I do notice is my talent for changing topics. I can be in a group of people, not saying much, but when I do, I notice the conversation gets steered in a different direction. Since I'm not talking as much, I spend more time observing. It really can be interesting to observe people who are more engaged in talking than anything else.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2004 06:54 pm
I will venture a guess.

Based on an average busy day- I will use about 4300 to 4500 words.

Based on a quiet day, I will likely use less than half that. (I do not have as many quiet days as I would like.)

However, if a person's CAREER OR PROFESSION requires a lot of 'talking' they likely will use many more than I do.

Once I was a teacher.

Taking everything into account, including the fact that my parents said I was driving them crazy with noise at age 2...
My guess is:

84,871,500 words in my life... give or take a few thousand.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:16 am
Congratulations theollady! You are right! 84,871,500 is the correct answer! You win the grand prize, which is a date with A2K's resident stud, gustavratzenhofer! You'll love him. He's a catch.
0 Replies

theollady

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:10 pm
Careful how you offer "Gus" as a reward.
All the women want him. I have to check and be SURE your offer is true.... 'pant, pant, pant....'
Izzit Gus?

Izzit Gus? Sigh-h-h-h Embarrassed

Razz
0 Replies

kirsten

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 12:27 pm
theollady wrote:
Careful how you offer "Gus" as a reward.
All the women want him. I have to check and be SURE your offer is true.... 'pant, pant, pant....'
Izzit Gus?

Izzit Gus? Sigh-h-h-h Embarrassed

Razz

I wanted Gus too, before I discovered he is my.........dad! Shocked
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:42 pm
WOT???

Gus has progeny? No, say it ain't so. Why, with all the ladies he's bragged about bedding, I didn't once consider the prospect of offspring.
I'm glad the 'jhonston' incident doesn't preclude him from furthering his seed upon the world at large.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:52 pm
I can't believe I took the time to reason and debate about my average word count, considering average words that I'd use in each era of my life, but I have employed the princely number of:

16,542,500,000 words.

(That is, if talking to myself counts :blush:)

0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 01:54 pm
You get the answers you want to hear...what's wrong with that?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sun 15 Feb, 2004 02:13 pm
I was thinking more along the lines of practising conjugations rather than scary schizotypal conversations with myself and the spirit of Emily Brontë.

Not that schizotypal conversations with yourself and the spirit of Emily Brontë is a bad thing.

0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:36:54