The Laws of Cartoon Motion

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 10:56 am
The Laws of Cartoon Motion

Adapted from Mark O’Donnell

“I know this defies the law of gravity, but, you see, I never studied Law!”
-Bugs Bunny

1.) Any body suspended in space will remain suspended in space until made aware of its situation.

2.) Any body in motion will tend to remain in motion until solid matter intervenes suddenly.

3.) Any body passing though solid matter will leave a perforation conforming to its perimeter (also called the silhouette of passage.)

4.) The time required for and object to fall 20 stories is greater than or equal to the time it takes for whoever knocked it off the ledge to spiral down 20 flights of stairs to attempt to capture it unbroken.

5.) All principles of gravity are negated by fear.

6.) As speed increases, objects can be in several places at once.

7.) Certain bodies can pass through a solid wall painted to resemble a tunnel entrance; others cannot.

8.) Necessity plus Will provokes spontaneous generation.

9.) Any violent rearrangement of feline matter is impermanent.

10.) For every vengeance there is an equal and opposite revengeance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,535 • Replies: 30
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:39 pm
Seal, this puts me in the mind of 'movie law'....most especially, scary movie law.

i like these laws however - very true all of them.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 12:57 pm
Now why didn't we discuss this in physics class?????
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:06 pm
Science fiction amendmends

11) Crashing space ships will always burn, never mind there's no oxygen in space to burn them.

12) Exploding space ships always make a loud noise, never mind there's no air in space, so noise can't be carried.

13) A typical time for accelerating from zero to light speed is 10-20 seconds. For comparison: If you jump off the Empire State Building, and hit the ground, the asphalt slows you down about 1000 times more gently than that.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:12 pm
All of these are wonderful..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:16 pm
Spaceships can, and do, make u-turns.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:17 pm
Delta V? We don't need no stinkin' Delta V!
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:29 pm
Scary movie law:

1. All electronic communication devices must be rendered un-usable (is that a word?) via storm, no satellite signals, or downed power lines

2. All would-be weapons of destruction must be dropped PRIOR to soon-to-be-victim coming within 3 ft of monster/threat

you got more?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:31 pm
To add to Thomas' sci-fi list there's the instant communication across galaxies.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:37 pm
Give the choice between not going up the dark stairway and remaining safe or going up the stairwy and getting into trouble, the innocent young heroine will aways go up the stairs.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 01:38 pm
Craven/Thomas, did you notice they are never charged for the call either.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 02:53 pm
Spaceships don't just make noise when they EXPLODE - they make noise when they are just MOVING!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:09 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
Craven/Thomas, did you notice they are never charged for the call either.

Good point! And they never get redirected to a Ferenghi call center, or end up in an answering machine: "Thank you for calling the Enterprise. To make us beam you up, dial 'one'. To create a spacetime vortex that messes up causality, dial 'two'. To talk to the operator, dial 'zero'."

dlowan wrote:
Spaceships don't just make noise when they EXPLODE - they make noise when they are just MOVING!

True, which reminds me: All space ships have streamlined shapes which make no sense in a vacuum. The most economical space ship shape for interinterstellar travel would be a sphere, which has the highest volume-to-surface ratio. I don't remember seeing a single spherical space ship in science fiction movies. Except if you count the death star in Star Wars, which is technically a star, not a space ship.
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:25 pm
How about a General Products #4 Hull?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 03:33 pm
Sphere! ET!!! Ship looked like a giant christmas tree ornament.

But - it actually LANDED - which is odd.

However, I think it was made a sphere because Spielberg wanted it known just how organic and non hard-edge these aliens were...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 04:30 pm
Has anyone ever considered the landmark product liability lawsuit which Wile E. Coyote could bring against Acme products?
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 07:44 pm
Yes, I believe someone has.

http://paul.merton.ox.ac.uk/filmtv/coyote.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:15 pm
Where's counsel for the defense, he's got an ironclad case?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:25 pm
Science fiction OR Scary movie rule:

Number... I'll say 16: If a group of people are checking out something dangerous, and 3 of them are above-the-name leads and one is an unknown, unknown is SO gonna die....
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 9 Feb, 2004 09:34 pm
Anyone venturing away from the group is going to die.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The Laws of Cartoon Motion
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:10:57