Reuters Poll: Most Americans Support Deadly Force in Self Defense

oralloy

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 04:11 pm
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Any time you feel like walking around with a sword, feel free.

I recommend buying your sword from "Arms and Armor".

Some other companies make swords that are historically accurate in appearance, and durable enough to not shatter if you bang them against other swords in a historical reenactment, but Arms and Armor also makes their swords lightweight and properly balanced so people can use them in fencing or martial arts.

I also recommend a broadsword. You'd only need a cut-n-thrust if you had to face an attacker wearing a full suit of plate mail.

But while people are free to use interesting antique weapons if they so choose, they also have the constitutional right to walk around carrying a modern weapon like a handgun in public.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2012 04:15 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
FOR THE RECORD:
I dissent from the notion
that extant gun control laws shud be enforced.
Thay r unConstitutional. Thay r unAmerican.
Thay help only on-the-job criminals. Their victims shud not be disarmed.

David

On a federal level, they are likely all unconstitutional, as the feds have no jurisdiction in that area.

But each law should be judged on it's own merits. A truly-instant background check would be a hindrance to criminals, for example.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 01:10 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
Any time you feel like walking around with a sword, feel free.
Thay r too long; unwieldy, inconvenient.
My weapons have been more compact, deft & adroit than swords.

David
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Jun, 2012 01:33 am
@oralloy,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
FOR THE RECORD:

David
oralloy wrote:

On a federal level, they are likely all unconstitutional,
as the feds have no jurisdiction in that area.
Yes, but the 2nd Amendment was written as a UNIVERSAL NEGATIVE proposition,
(Barron v. Baltimore to the contrary notwithstanding),
i.e.: " . . . shall not be infringed"; accordingly,
if that right is infringed, that is a USURPATION that violates the Bill of Rights,
therefore being null & void. Marbury v. Madison 5 U.S. 137 (1803).

oralloy wrote:
But each law should be judged on it's own merits.
A truly-instant background check would be a hindrance to criminals, for example.
That 'd be a violation of the "equal protection" clause
and of the due process clause, in that loss of the right of self defense
is not in the imposed sentence (and therefore, cannot be appealed).
Abrogation of the right of self defense (e.g., legally compelling ex-convicts to freely allow mountain lions or packs of dogs
to feast upon their living flesh 'd violate the 8th Amendment as cruel & unusual punishment,
no matter which government afflicts defendant with that sentence; reminiscent of Russian Roulette).

David
oralloy

Reply Sun 8 Jul, 2012 12:26 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:
FOR THE RECORD:

On a federal level, they are likely all unconstitutional, as the feds have no jurisdiction in that area.

Yes, but the 2nd Amendment was written as a UNIVERSAL NEGATIVE proposition,
(Barron v. Baltimore to the contrary notwithstanding),
i.e.: " . . . shall not be infringed"; accordingly,
if that right is infringed, that is a USURPATION that violates the Bill of Rights,
therefore being null & void. Marbury v. Madison 5 U.S. 137 (1803).

Lack of jurisdiction is more restrictive on the government than a right is.

With a right, the only question is whether a law infringes that right. If there is no infringement found, then the law stands.

But even if a law is found to not violate any rights, if the government has no jurisdiction to pass laws in that area, then the law is still unconstitutional.

This means that even if a federal gun law passes muster with the Second Amendment, it is still unconstitutional. It would be OK as a state law though, so long as it didn't violate any rights.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
oralloy wrote:
OmSigDAVID wrote:

But each law should be judged on it's own merits. A truly-instant background check would be a hindrance to criminals, for example.

That 'd be a violation of the "equal protection" clause
and of the due process clause, in that loss of the right of self defense
is not in the imposed sentence (and therefore, cannot be appealed).

Maybe for sentences passed before the law was passed. But after the law was passed, any subsequent criminal sentences would have the loss of the right incorporated into them.

Felons still have the right to self defense, BTW. They just do not have the right to carry a gun so that they are prepared ahead of time. If they found themselves in a self-defense situation, they would still have the right to temporarily pick up any convenient weapon and use it to save their lives.

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Abrogation of the right of self defense (e.g., legally compelling ex-convicts to freely allow mountain lions or packs of dogs
to feast upon their living flesh 'd violate the 8th Amendment as cruel & unusual punishment,
no matter which government afflicts defendant with that sentence; reminiscent of Russian Roulette).

David

I'm not sure it would be cruel unless the ex-con were forced to be in an area with such dangerous predators.

A few years ago, a black bear moved into the woods in my area. I've given a bit of thought to a suitable defensive weapon against the bear (I'm thinking the .450 Marlin sounds about right), but until such time as I get around to acquiring such a weapon (I'm the ultimate procrastinator), I've simply stopped going for walks in the woods, so am never in any danger from the bear.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 04:08:03