A Serious Question about Repatriating

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:32 am
If I wanted to move somewhere, meaning a different country,where I could work as a dj (I have plenty of years left in me) and these are my wants, where would you suggest? This is a serious question.

I want

1. to work as a dj. I am skilled at this.
2. My preference would be a warm place but it's not a deal breaker
3. I would want to live somewhere that supplies health care to it's citizens
4. Somewhere not a major player on the world stage so not concerned with being invaded
5. Some place where I could learn the local language if it wasn't English but where English is spoken.
6. Somewhere people don't hate Americans automatically (a tough one, I realize)

any SERIOUS suggestions that aren't just insults or invites to get my ass out of America? I realize a lot of countries require you to have a skill that would contribute to the economy, and a pro dj would certainly be helpful to a place with a tourist based economy or an economy that gets a great deal of income that way.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 802 • Replies: 11
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:36 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
I know it's not warm, but how about canada?
eurocelticyankee

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:42 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Ireland ticks your boxes But! we don't need no foreign blueveinedthrobber's over here invading our women, we've got that covered. So might I suggest Iran.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:53 am
Ireland. Short tempered alcoholics that would as soon fight but prefer to ****. I'll look into it. Sounds like a good match
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 07:54 am
@chai2,
I almost moved to Canada in the mid 70's but I couldn't take the winters.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 08:00 am
@chai2,
The Bear wouldn't be able to get into Canada - wouldn't have the points needed. Once you're past about 40, and if you don't speak French, you're pretty much SOL here, unless you're bringing in something like $2,000,000 to establish a business.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 08:02 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Why not work gigs on cruise ships? you could keep going for years with that.
blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 08:05 am
@ehBeth,
I really came within a hair of moving to Canada in the mid 70's. I loved it there, even though the generation of Canadians above me, who would be in their 80's now, seemed to hate Americans so much. I once had 3 Canadian guys jump me on the street and start wailing on me, calling me a gearbox. You would be familiar with that term Beth. I don't think they liked the idea that a skinny little bunch of American musicians in eye makeup and glam rock clothing were doing their sisters and girlfriends Mr. Green Seriously, I loved Canada but it was just TOO cold for me.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 08:08 am
@ehBeth,
I have a friend who is the manager of my apartment complex who says cruise ship gigs are not a day at the beach at all (she did it for several years)and that due to maritime laws being a whole different animal that if the captain says **** you say what color and how much and if you don't like it and say so you can just be kicked off the ship at the next port and get home on your own. She says I don't have enough yessir nossir may I kiss your ass sir in me to enjoy it or be successful at it. In addition, dj's are not classified as talent but rather just the help and therefore treated like cattle
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 08:12 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
Cruise work is definitely hard work, but at least you're not in a cold country.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 08:14 am
@blueveinedthrobber,
oh and medical care - some of the ships have very good docs - have to because of the seniors (you don't want to do the singles cruises - they're just evil for staff and crew) - they can even do minor surgery - really good facilities
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 1 Apr, 2012 08:14 am
@ehBeth,
I don't mind hard work.... but I'm not going to put up with having my mood or day dictated by the mood or day of someone who thinks they can be shitty to me just because they're my employer and for no other reason. Never have never will. I investigated the whole cruise ship thing pretty seriously at one time
0 Replies