How bad can my sprain get, and how fast can I fix it?

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:26 pm
I sprained my ankle running cross country, preparing to go to MCRD basic training in less then a month (in 24 days). I can't go to the hospital because my insurance ran out, so I can't afford it, but it's just a sprain, so it will heal in time. (I had a jarhead moment and decided to run on it anyway, everyday for a week...) Now it's swollen and hurts when I walk. I've been off it for several days now, and it seems a bit better, but still hurts when I walk. I have been using Ibuprofen, icing, mineral icing, sleeping with it propped up, and wrapping it when I walk. I need to speed up healing, so I don't miss my ship date.

So I need to know how I can fix it, and how bad will it get if I ignore it?

I can't miss this, and don't really care if my feet fall off in the process, but would really love to keep them if I can, I am kind of attached to them after all.

Any Ideas on how to speed up the process would be helpful.

Thank you!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 964 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Mar, 2012 10:41 pm
The RICE method:
Rest
Ice
Compress - wrap it with a bandage.
Elevate

and Time.. Tried and true methods work.
Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 06:37 am
@Ceili,
A doctor once told me that a sprained ankle can be worse that a broken one. I was once in a cast for a couple of weeks with a sprained ankle. Since the cast immobilized my foot, I was able to walk on it.

Ceili's advice is excellent. I would add, that it is important that you don't push yourself. You might want to use a cane or a crutch to minimize any pressure on the foot, since you won't have a cast to hold it in place.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 23 Mar, 2012 09:35 am
This seems comprehensive, is a credible site, and might be helpful to you:

http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=a00150
0 Replies