Net/web vocabulary

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 11:28 am
There afre probably many such dictionaries, this being one

http://www.netlingo.com/

However it doesn’t always answer my questions, for instrance

1. “Link” is apparently short for “hyperlink,” which is almost anything you click on to access almost anything else. So how do you distinguish one in the form of an icon from one given in words and letters, usually underlined, eg

http://www.gardenbuddies.com/forums/edibles/10150-when-plant-snow-peas.html#post111023

2. A URL is apparently an address for a website. So are the two terms synonyms or is a URL a kind of address or vice versa

3. When I slide the cursor off the window I get a strip of icons that constitute hyperlinks to favorite websites, on a black background. What is this strip called

4. Here is a link to a wage of HowStuffWorks

http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBPaN9rB7uFbtB8hZafNsjAeoos/doc.html?email=

What do you call such a page as it’s displayed on your monitor? Is it called a window

or is it a specific kind of window
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 995 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:20 pm
@dalehileman,
5. Somewhat OT but I want to send a link to the sort of window (typically a commercial message or some kind of browser) described in step 4 above to a buddy usoing email and accessed by the link in step 1. Of course I can easily Fwd the entire page or window, but suppose instead I want to send him/her only a link to it as I have provided for you in step 1

Yes many such pages contain such a link, eg, the “here” in

"If you are having trouble viewing this email with images below, click here

which yields such an address or URL. But suppose the page or message contains no such sublink under which circumstance is it even possible to find the desired URL

If you don’t know, that’s ok, it’s not clear even to my aerospace programmer buddies. But maybe you can tell me this: If I copy-paste a URL, is it correct to say that when I paste it in an email message it becomes a legitimate hyperlink—after all it then is underlined and clicking on it does access the desired page--but if not what do you call it

6. Clicking on a link yields a page or a message such as the HowStyuffWorks message or window containing what I called “sublink” in step 5. I made up the word of course but what do you call a link within a document, page, or window which you had accessed using a hyperlink

7. As an incidental note
dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 12:47 pm
@dalehileman,
7. The sentence containing the sublink “here” as in step 5 disappears from the window accessed for instance by the link in strep 1. That means there must be something special or unique about the sentence or the sublink it contains that HSW doesn’t want you to see. What do you call this distinction and why do you suppose HSW doesn’t want you to have it

Guys forgive the many typos in the posts above. Owing to the 10-minute rule not only can I not submit my OP as a single posting but I can’t make corrections either

0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 01:48 pm
@dalehileman,
8. In reference to step 6.: (a) Is it necessary or desirable to distinguish amongst these three terms document, page, display, or window and if so is there a term covering all three, and

(b) Using tabs of course only one window within a given site is visible at once, but if different sites are open those in the background or not accessed through a tab but not hidden may be brought to the “top" by a single click. Are there terms to distinguish the top one from those underneath
dalehileman

Reply Wed 21 Mar, 2012 01:58 pm
@dalehileman,
9. What’s the difference between the Web and the Internet and is it supposedly proper to capitalize both

For instance from Wiki

Quote:
are adapting to Web site technology, or are reshaped into blogging and web feeds.
Why sometimes cap and sometimes not
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Net/web vocabulary
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 02:02:11