Choosing a default font

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 03:54 pm
Word 2010 has Calibri 11-pt font for its default. Is there any way to change the default? I much prefer Times New Roman 14-pt.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 2,000 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 06:31 pm
@Tomkitten,
You can change the font and set it as the default by going the banner menu...select Page Layout > Font and change your font.

However, if you want to change fonts permanently that will be done in the template. You need to understand what a template is and how it affects how Word formats your documents. Templates can easily be changed but don't make your temporary changes to the template. (Temp changes are done on a document by document basis as I indicated in the first sentence.)

If you want to make change permanent, I suggest pressing F1 for Help. when you do, you'll see the following info:

"Change the Normal template (Normal.dotm )

The Normal.dotm template opens whenever you start Microsoft Office Word, and it includes default styles and customizations that determine the basic look of a document."

0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:41 pm
Why the 14 point? That's huge!
Ragman

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 07:45 pm
@PUNKEY,
FWIW, normally, 11 or 12 point is typical for published documents or articles.

Perhaps he (or the readers/audience) has/have vision issues?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 08:23 pm
@PUNKEY,
Honey, some of us have trouble seeing.
Tomkitten

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, 14 pt is much easier for me. And the Newsletter I edit is read by a great many people with serious vision problems. Actually, for myself, when I have to do a presentation of any sort I like my text to be in 16 pt!!

But it isn't the specific font size thats' at issue; it's to ability to change the default font, both size and style.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:25 pm
@Tomkitten,
I checked my Student Office (circa 2007). Within a document, there is a very colorful block way to the right, and at the top labeled "Change Styles". It has a couple of large uppercase A's inside the block. That will let you change font and typefaces. It also gives you a drop menu with "Set as Default". I didn't explore it, but if you can adapt this to your version, it might be just what you need.

On presentations; if you actually read the script, 14 or 16 point type is very good. I've also found that setting an 8 1/2 X 11 sheet into two newspaper columns can be helpful. I haven't done this since WordPerfect 3.0 was the hot tip in word processing.
roger

Reply Mon 5 Mar, 2012 10:26 pm
@roger,
P.S. I favor Garramond as a readable typeface.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 6 Mar, 2012 08:18 am
@Tomkitten,
whistling...doo dee dum
roger

Reply Mon 12 Mar, 2012 10:26 pm
@Ragman,
This probably means my idea didn't work
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Choosing a default font
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 03:00:18