I want to retire by the age of 50

jcboy

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2012 07:15 pm
At least that’s my plan, and I want to retire in Spain, which means I have 22 more years to work. Of course a lot can happen in 22 years but that’s the plan for now.

I’ve only been there a couple of times but I always felt Spain would be the place for me. The people were friendly, the country is beautiful and the food is wonderful. That’s my story and I’m sticking with it.

If you are retired are you in that place you thought you would be? If not what changed your plans?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 2,121 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Adam4Adam

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 06:44 am
@jcboy,
Does that mean I'll have a place to stay when I visit?

I can't plan that for in the future.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 02:33 pm
@Adam4Adam,
That for in the future? Wink
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 02:34 pm
@jcboy,
I'm not retired, but I'm in the place I want to live.

I love Austin.
EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 02:45 pm
@chai2,
I'm currently in Florida, my number one choice would be somewhere in the country, I'm an Italian country boy at heart Wink
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:11 pm
@chai2,
My favorite place to visit is Sitges Spain. It’s a beautiful quaint town on the coast about forty minutes from Barcelona. Yep that’s my plan.

http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg72/scaled.php?server=72&filename=sitges.jpg&res=medium
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:23 pm
@jcboy,
Lovely, including the light.
jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:25 pm
@ossobuco,
It’s beautiful there! I miss that place, I want to take Marco and Antonio there this summer for a vacation.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:31 pm
@ossobuco,
If I had my druthers and the money, I'd have a small place in Italy. Even when I thought I might be able to swing it, looking bemusedly at real estate sites, I didn't want to live there all year. Despite my own country driving me bananas from time to time, I care about it, it is part of me. So, the cost of going back and forth and keeping a place in, guess where, California, would add up. Besides, I have found out that I like virtual travel, via reading books and internet. In a way, my reading is a kind of retirement in many places.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:40 pm
@jcboy,
I've always been interested in Spain but have never been there. I got interested around the same time I got interested in Italy and Brazil - fourth grade geography class. Turns out all three places have famously good food..

A book you might like, one of my favorites in a long time, is a non fiction book about Spain, primarily about the country and its vagaries through the twentieth century. It's Giles Tremlett's Ghosts of Spain. Not a travel book, but gives a lot of background information about places and people; I learned a huge amount, including about the recent construction industry situation.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
Thank you, I will look for that book online!

Spain was my favorite, I drove from Italy, through France and spent most of my time in Spain, up the coast from Barcelona to Torremolino spain, where I spent two weeks! That would have been my second choice. Then drove through Toledo and on my way to Madrid where I spent another week.

The Spanish people are very hospitable, not to mention the Spanish men are very sexy lol, and the food, I never had a bad meal.
Cool
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 11:31 pm
@jcboy,
First choice: I'd move back to California and live in Gold country in the Sierra foothills: Placerville, Angel's Camp, anywhere between the two.

Second choice: (If I had to move out of the US) I'd move to the Black Forest region of Germany. It is one of the places I'd like to return to after having visited in the 1980's before the reunification of Germany.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Wed 29 Feb, 2012 11:54 pm
Vancouver Island. Mountains, oceans, lakes, cedars - young redwoods that scrape the sky, mild weather, endless possibilities.
2nd choice.. Belize.
0 Replies

EqualityFLSTPete

Reply Thu 1 Mar, 2012 06:29 am
They all sound like beautiful places to live. I can't decide where my little country home will be.
0 Replies