Earth's Most Hyperactive Place; Afar depression is also one of the hottest places on Earth

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 12:32 pm
Calm Down, Cool It: Earth's Most Hyperactive Place
Categories: National Geographic, Daily Picture Show
February 1, 2012
by Claire O'Neill - NPR

It seems an oxymoron that a depression could be hyperactive. Or that such a hot place could be so cool. According to a recent National Geographic article, "East Africa's Afar depression is one of the world's most geologically hyperactive regions."

Credit: George Steinmetz/National Geographic

The Afar depression is also one of the hottest places on Earth; it's one of the lowest places on Earth; it's home to 12 active volcanoes, one of the Earth's few lava lakes and some of the earliest hominids like Lucy. More than 100 earthquakes can happen here in a month.

The depression, also called the Afar Triangle, is found in Ethiopia and touches both Djibouti and Eritrea. As Saudi Arabia literally tore itself away from East Africa, forming the Red Sea, magma pushed through the Earth's crust.

The magma cools, gets heavier, and the land sinks. And, when the Red Sea floods the region and evaporates, it leaves behind huge salt deposits — effectively creating a huge industry for the region. Though not necessarily a safe one: National Geographic cites one 2005 incident, in which the Earth opened its jaws and literally swallowed camels alive as herders watched.

It's no surprise that this would be a mecca for photographers, especially someone like George Steinmetz — who also has a geophysics degree. More of his photos can be seen with the article.

PHOTO:

http://www.npr.org/blogs/pictureshow/2012/02/01/146195759/calm-down-cool-it-earths-most-hyperactive-place
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 841 • Replies: 4
No top replies

33export

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 01:00 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Ah, the mother continent ; fascinating place. Wouldn't want to live there, though.

Correct one of your tags.
roger

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 02:10 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Fascinating. I thought the honor went to the Qattar depression, but live and learn.

The previous poster is correct. The tag should be East Africa.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 02:22 pm
@33export,
Thanks for your fix of my boo boo.

BBB
farmerman

Reply Wed 1 Feb, 2012 04:38 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
I spent 3 months there looking for several evaporite deposits ofPierrsonite and several other salts .It was very hot and dry and the red wolves of the Afar were just beautiful . They are red (natch) smallish and travel in large packs that isolate into extended family groups. There are several subspeices on their way to species status.

From Harrar through the Danakiel depression we went looking for Pierrsonite and lithium salts. It was a neat field trip but the AFar tribesmen were kinda spooky. Very good shots and suspisious of everything.

Went in through Djibouti and drove and drove and drove.
I had a lot of pictures taken with an old Minolta XGM camera (this was in the late 70's or early 80's cause there were uprisings after we left and we never got the pierrsonite and lithium deposits even evaluated for volume/wieght estimates. We were gonna send some rigs in to drill but they got taken at the docks and AID money went to pay for em.

Noplace in AFrica that Id worked in was nice, been shot at, blowed up, had guys killed some taken and held. I hadda talk my way out of a series of accusations and once I got home I vowed that that entire continent was off limits to me until stability was expanded to include more nations than just Botswana.
0 Replies