Vibrations.

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 06:34 pm
A couple of week's ago my whole family witnessed an unbelievable, an unrecognised noise that lasted about 10 seconds, never heard it before in the 15 year's that we've lived in this house. (Car's or Busses or truck's can't do this) But it was really loud, It's like someone had turned up a bass box, like a viboration, like sound waves hitting your hear, But it wasn't a vibration, or bass box, it's what sounded like a vibration starting from a small pimp building up to a huge vibration noise, quite hard noise, then it quite quickly dropped from the slow start to the vibration noise, but nothing vibrated and it was very wierd, i would be greatfull for any anweres!

P.S I've searched this up many of times, but i can not find anything similar to this noise we encountered, and there wasn't an earthquake either, I've searched everything up to try and find what the cause of this 1-off event that happened. And when the vibration noise built up and died off, it stayed the same speed (like sound) if you understand, i can't put it into words, sorry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 5 • Views: 445 • Replies: 10
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 06:53 pm
@benashman,
Variable volumn, steady frequency. Sounds like an imbalance in a heavy appliance, like a refrigerator or washer. If it was something like that, you will hear it again.

On the other hand, low frequency noises are very hard to track down. It could well have been from outside the house, as these sounds are not much diminished by walls. Sometimes the seem magnified by the walls. If you share a common wall with a neighbor, just point your sub woofer into the wall and see how long it takes to hear from them. Did you neighbors hear anything at the same time? That could be a clue.
Ceili

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 06:57 pm
Once, a few years ago, at the local airport, they were testing a jet engine they'd recently repaired. The window of my house literally bowed in. The sound was intense. Is there a shop nearby that repair big engines?
benashman

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 06:58 pm
@roger,
no, it can't be the dryer, washer, or anything heavy like that because we haven't got anything new really, it's always been the same in the house, and the sound is like it's coming from the sky, but it's a hard vibration noise, and no, the neighbours don't speak to us. and i heard it from the kitchen when my mum was in the living room, she heard it and she said the same thing about it coming from everywhere, no percific direction of travel, just a hard vibration noise when nothing vibrated.
0 Replies

benashman

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 06:59 pm
@Ceili,
and no, there isn't any planes that fly over this area, not for a few miles. it cant be subsidence because the house is about 70 year's old but is still in great condition. and no there is not any intense engine shops around the area, and this noise happened about 11 o'clock at night when there was no traffic.
roger

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 07:02 pm
@benashman,
Too bad, cuz I forgot about aircraft. Heliocopters, and for some reason that gosh darn Osprey with the tilting engines are big generators of low freq sound and vibration.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 07:24 pm
@benashman,
I remember when I was in school, the desks had metal book racks under the seats. If you licked your fingers and rubbed the metal up and down it would create a very low tone vibration that you couldn't localize. Very few kids knew about this trick and if you wanted to freak people out it worked well because you couldn't tell where it was coming from and you sitting there making the noise didn't have to move much or fake that you were the one making the noise.

What's my point? Well sounds can be made easily and some sounds are not very easy to pin point. It could be water pipes in the house heating or cooling causing a groaning sound. In other words things make sounds all the time.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 07:30 pm
Why are you all ignoring the obvious? It was space aliens come to try and kidnap the OP and family. They failed this timebut watch out for hoveringlights and strange noises in the future. I honestly can't see what else this could be. Mr. Green
benashman

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 07:50 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
It's one of those noises though, i dont think it's possible for it to be created by water pipes, it's like when you walk into a very loud disco and you can feel it inside your body, the soundwaves hitting it, it's like that but it's never happened before or since?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 07:53 pm
Oh, man. Look at all the ads for hearing aids and testing at the bottom of the page.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Mon 2 Jan, 2012 07:53 pm
Where do you live?
Are you running heat in the home, specifically hot water (with a boiler?)
Pipes can make that noice.
Hot air in the furnace ducts can cause this noise, too.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Vibrations.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:34:17