Rare Earth Elements AKA REE, both lite and heavy ree's

Stugotz

Reply Sat 10 Dec, 2011 11:47 pm
Rare earth elements, the kind you find in any and most electronics, naivigation systems,wind power, weapons systems, refineries, solar power, hybrid cars, light bulbs etc, have been in the news for the last 2-3 years. China dominates this industry, but there are at least 3-5 mining companies that have business plans to change that status, outside of China.

I am fairly new to the "study' of rare earth elements, as I have interested in them for just about over a year, but I find their uses and versitality amazing.
I currently own thousands of shares in 5 mining companies, that have recently been in the news, and are progressing to build concentration plants and processing plants.

I would like to open up some discussion in this topic, and share what I do know about the industry.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,765 • Replies: 13
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 12:33 am
@Stugotz,
Welcome to A2K Stugotz.

Would MER be one of the companies you are invested in?
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 07:29 am
@Stugotz,

my place is designing the mountian pass power plants for molycorp.
unfortunately, i know next to nothing about the mining processes...
Stugotz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:15 am
@Region Philbis,
Region that is so cool, what company do you work for, if I may ask.
When I lived in Cali, I was only about 2.5 miles from MCP's open pit mine. Wish I would have gone to visit it.
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:18 am
@Stugotz,

(answering via PM...)
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:31 am
My husband is a geologist and his specialties are REEs and uranium. He is technical advisor for some 3 or 4 companies here in Canada. What would you like to know and I can ask him? He's on a job in Peru until next Thursday, though, so you have lots of time to think of questions.
Stugotz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:44 am
@Mame,
Thank you so much for the offer. I think that Peru is known alot for it lithium mining. He must love his job, getting to visit so many countries and all.

I will think about it, and post back to you.

Happy Holidays

Stu
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:53 am
@Stugotz,
If you are investing I think you should read this:

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/01/us-rare-earths-lifton-idUSTRE7A03Q120111101
Stugotz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 09:59 am
@mesquite,
Hi mesquite, mere is not one of my companies but, I do have some , Lynas Corp, MCP( small amount) STTYF , North American Graphite, Gwmg , Northern uranium, ALKEF, and a few others.

All of my investments are long term, especially LYNAS. Lynas will be the first mine to magnet miner, outside of China for the last 13 years to bring final process rees to market. MCP has a test facility called the Phoenix project underway, to perfect new process's for rare earth refining. Between Lynas, and Molycorp, they should be able to supply up to17,000 tons ( a year) of processed rare earths under their phase one business plans. Also MCP had been the worlds largest ree processor up untill around 2001, when China entered the market, and began a systimatic price war, and basicly put MCP out of the market with lower material costs.
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:14 am
@Robert Gentel,
recently Jack Lifton has come under fire for his, aligence issues among several of the JR miners, that he is paid to "pump" recently he has gone sour on GWMGF, who he has pumped for a few years as a paid "expert" His Patner,
Gareth Hatch, have started up a (still on paper) REE SEPARATION facility in Vietnam, and have partnered up with Docha metals. Their company is called Inovationsmetals.com

To build a( modern) ree processing plant takes between 1/2 billion to a billion dollars, and just finding locals for the plants to be built is quite difficult.

Lynas is 85 % complete with is modern ree processing plant in Kutan Malayasia, with hopes of getting their final permits to start bring over concetrated ree, stocks from their Mt Weld open pit mine in western oz.

So today I take Jack Liftons , reccomendations with a grain of salt.!

Tons more to discuss yet about REE's in general.

Thx for the link

Stu
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:28 am
@Stugotz,
I haven't heard about the controversy you refer to, but he is one of the few I've heard already calling this a bubble. I have no idea if this is a bubble yet (I don't pay enough attention to), but it does seem to be headed that way to me.
Stugotz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 10:51 am
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, you would not believe the "hype' when it comes to mining. many miners spend just enought monies, to get on the pk/otc exchange, and then only to be minipulated by the bankers that have made them loans for feasibility studies and what not. The 'money managers' have a field day shorting and pumping, then bashing many of the Jr want to bee mining companies, swiftly pulled together to make millions of of the HYPE.

When it comes down to it, there will be only a handfull of REAL ree miners in the world, that can and will produce product.
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Sun 11 Dec, 2011 01:54 pm
@Robert Gentel,
The" bubble' that JL, refers to is the current inflated prices of the processed ree's themselves. Several types of rare earths have gone up as much at 1000% in the last year or so. There are 17 lite rare earth elements along with 4-5 heavy rare earth elements. The heavies are very diificult to find in a concentrated form that is worth the immense monies needed to extract, concentrate and then process.

here is a link to lynascorp, and has some valuable info on it to learn from.

www.lynascorp.com

Thanks so much for the conversation
0 Replies

Stugotz

Reply Thu 19 Jan, 2012 03:11 pm
Lynas shares are making a comback at the moment, based on the premise that their LAMP facilty in Malaysia will soon have it's operational permits in place.
0 Replies