7

How does the phrase "I think,therefore i am" prove i(the mind) exists?

Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 08:47 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...for all that I know, any time "data" is transferred from a "system" to another, something is being "observed" whatever that system might be...

Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 08:57 pm
@JLNobody,
you assuming "agent" clarifies anything...but you can't even be certain of "agency"..."process" is all you have...to my view a far wider and sobering term...
Fil Albuquerque

1  
Reply Sun 24 Jun, 2012 10:00 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
...another one to party about is "awareness"...but yet again, if I say Earth is "aware" at all times of sun's gravitational pull am I lying, or saying something utterly wrong ? of course not...

Jasper10

0  
Reply Wed 23 Dec, 2020 07:23 am
@r3lax187,
The “i am” is aware of a lot of things one of which is thought.We are not thoughts we just have conscious outward thoughts and are aware (consciously or subconsciously) of incoming thoughts to varying degrees.

Super-Socrates

1  
Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 09:19 am
The cogito is based on an observation. It says, "I am thinking or perceiving. Even if I am utterly fooled, such that there is nothing but a mind in a vat, then I must conclude that I exist, as there is someone having this thought or perception." As long as there is a perception, there is a perceiver, or else we would not be having a perception, but we are, and so we must exist, at least as a perceiver. Thus, I think (or perceive), therefore I am.
Jasper10

0  
Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 09:56 am
@Super-Socrates,
The “i am” is a presence that has awareness of many things... one of which is consciousness states.One can alter the consciousness state from autopilot to manual at leisure.As most people are not that familiar with consciousness types....they generally only live in the autopilot state and are controlled mainly by autopilot thoughts rather than manual thoughts.Thoughts cause emotions.Constant negative thoughts cause anxiety and depression.
Super-Socrates

1  
Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 10:01 am
@Jasper10,
That has nothing to do with the topic, but we can discuss it if you like.
Jasper10

1  
Reply Tue 2 Mar, 2021 10:04 am
@Super-Socrates,
Well ...I was just making things a bit clearer...Some people get confused you see.
Albuquerque

1  
Reply Fri 12 Mar, 2021 08:23 pm
@r3lax187,
I disagree with Descartes "Cogito ergum sum"!

The problem on the axiom he proposes starts with the "I" itself.

He rather should have focus in a more abstract manner in the Experiencing itself which cannot be dismissed out of existence even if the kind of experiencing we have in our domain is just a "dream" or "matrix" of some kind.
Dreams are real dreams...while that which is doing the dreaming we don't know what is or if it is at all.

Maybe pure experiencing is all there is, and nothing of the sort we imagine it means. Experiencing does not entail a subject, free will, volition, and other supposed fundamentals...
Experiencing is just a 4D movie!

A better axiom is an axiom which cannot be contradicted and Experiencing cannot be contradicted as experiencing is required to attempt to dismiss Experiencing itself, which is paradoxical.

Jasper10

0  
Reply Sat 13 Mar, 2021 12:53 am
@Jasper10,
SELF is AWARE of many things one of which is thought types (inward/outward).SELF is not thought types however .SELF is aware of which consciousness state it is in (autopilot or manual) and can alter that consciousness state if that is SELF is aware enough to do so.In other words self has the option to consciously take up the CONTROLS.SELF experiences emotions as a result of thought types or information coming in from the senses.

Descartes got the statement “I think therefore I am “ the wrong way around because he was trapped in consciousness and hadn’t moved on into awareness....he hadn’t cognised himself sufficiently.This is because he hadn’t consciously taken up the controls and therefore only ever subconsciously existed in the ........autopilot = autopilot or non active 0,0 state.