Material Possessions Discussion

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 08:29 pm
Good evening forum dwellers,

I will start off with a simple question and elaborate my own answer afterwards to further explain the question.

"Material Possessions, are you attached to them, or do you find you don't need them and easily let them go?"

Now, I personally have found that as I have matured and grown up I never had many things, I come from a middle/lower class raised by a single mother with my moderately retarded brother whom I helped my mother raise. I believe the reason I never had many things was because once I became about thirteen I stopped asking for things. I never received allowance due to my work around the house was done out of my appreciation for a great mother and a place to eat and sleep. So I never got the chance to buy things early on. Now back to my answer, I feel that this upbringing may have caused me to be the way I am today. I am often regarded as Generous, selfless, and outgoing. I give my things away as soon as a friend says, "oh that's really cool," I will just give it to him/her without a second thought. Most of this is due to my mentality that is "material things won't last forever and certainly won't bring you happiness, a true friendship can however excel at both."

Now I would like to hear from all of you on your opinions of the obsession of material items that many humans suffer all of the time. (Suffer is used because I feel to be a wise person you must not cling to anything but the knowledge you obtain in your life so long as you aren't presented opinions that may steer yours)

So please feel free to ask questions, debate me, inform me, or even insult me it's a free world after all.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 583 • Replies: 3
No top replies

aidan

Reply Thu 20 Oct, 2011 11:02 pm
This is an interesting question to me because as I have moved overseas twice, it entailed shipping all of my things at great expense three times, so it was encumbent upon me to really, really prune my possessions to those that I just absolutely thought I needed to have.

When I moved over to England the first time, the job paid a certain amount to ship things, but would not give us the money to buy things like furniture and household items and things are much more expensive to buy here than in the US, so it made sense to ship as much as we could.

But when we moved back to the US, the job there gave us a moving allowance and my sister-in-law said, 'Why didn't you just ditch all your stuff there and use the allowance to buy new stuff here?'

I looked at her in horror. I said, 'Some of that stuff is precious to me - I wouldn't take any amount of money to leave it behind and buy new stuff.'

I'm very sentimental. I love things like the piano my mother gave to me because it's the piano I grew up having lessons on. I could have easily sold it, not paid what it cost to ship it and bought a keyboard to play, thus saving and probably even making a considerable amount of money - but I could never do that. I found myself shipping things like the Pearl Buck books my dad gave me when I was ten or eleven years old. I've read all of them and I could have left them packed away in my mom's attic - but I wanted them with me to remind me of my dad. Every time I pass my bookcase in the hallway and glance at them, I think of him.
Same with the vase my brother sent me flowers in for my birthday twenty years ago- it was the last birthday I had before he died. It broke, but I glued it back together and it sits on a table in the hallway next to the bookcase with the books from my dad

Tv's and **** - I could care less about- but my blue glass collection that my mom compiled for me through the years because she knows I love blue glass - if I lost that- I'd cry real tears for a very long time.
And still - they are all just THINGS- innit?
Weird.
0 Replies

smcmonagle

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 12:49 am
i just had a grandparent pass and talk about a house full of a lifetime of junk. all quickly ownerless. what a strange feeling it is to be around 'things' that dont possess an owner. and to think the amount of time it took for all of those things to come together in the possession of one owner. And for what?
0 Replies

ExtremeProtein

Reply Fri 21 Oct, 2011 02:57 pm
@SynnGrim,
Material things exist to make our lives easier and to entertain us. I do agree with you that people obsess far too much over material things though. ridiculous things like how some women obsess over shoes and some men obsess over cars for example. You can even put the worshipping celebrities in the same light. It's meaningless and pointless. People just need something to care about to give meaning to their lives. I think some people settle for materialistic things because to look for a more profound interest would require more in depth self-examination since our interests are what give us a sense of meaning and purpose. I think people are afraid to do this, so they indulge in superficiality.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Material Possessions Discussion
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 11:36:15