Definitions of brunet

sozobe

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 11:25 am
Honey or caramel is nice, littlek. I have very dark hair (not quite raven, but close), and E.G. had very blond hair when he was a kid, brown hair now. Sozlet's is about caramel. I hadn't been able to think of a term other than "brown", which is boring and unspecific.

Black-haired, brown-eyed me never thought I'd have a blue-eyed, caramel-haired kid. Her eyes actually have that same range, green through blue-grey.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 01:45 pm
Piffka sed:
Quote:
Gypsy simply means nomad, so they could be any of a wandering people, I suppose.

But the word gypsy comes from Gypsy, which is a shortened form of Egyptian. Europeans assumed that the Roma came from Egypt, and called them 'Gyptians... gypsy specifically means someone who lives like a Gypsy -- one of the Roma.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 01:57 pm
Hey, Wy....and Letty said:

Thanks for confusing me with Piffka. She is one bright lady.
Hey, gal. If you say it, I'll go with it. Checked out Soz's link and it made my head hurt. Very Happy

Do you know that my husband's fourth grade teacher said that the name "nomad" came from the fact that bedouins said, "No, mad; No,mad." Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 04:54 pm
Most of the irish gypsies/travellers are not directly related to the roma of europe. They are the descendants of people displaced during the famine and earlier by the incoming scots and english. They live a similar life style but are commonly refered to as the Tinkers, mainly because they travelled around and mended pots/pans or metal objects.

I guess my mother is a true Black Irish, her family are very tall. Most of her brothers are well over 6 feet and she and her sisters are all taller than 5'8".
I didn't get the height or the colouring. I'm typical, I guess, with dark auburn hair with freckles. I have been refered to as a brunette all my life.

I have always heard the spanish moors pirated the southern coast of ireland. I guess I heard it wrong.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 04:58 pm
Ceili, although there certainly were Moors in Spain, to the extent that there was a muslim "state" of Andalus--that muslims from Spain, who might have been generically designated "Moors" raided the coast of Ireland is not something i'm prepared to categorically deny. I rather doubt it, but only because there were centuries of goodwill and small trade between Ireland and the Iberian penninsula. It would interesting to get a more definitive answer.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 05:35 pm
Set, believe me, irish history is not my forte. I believe there were many mixed marriages between the irish and the moors, sailors who decided to stay awhile and so on, but I don't believe it was religion my sources were referring to when the spoke of the moors.
Most of my 'irish' stories have been, rather...poetically told. Confused
A couple of years ago I listened to a brilliant radio documentary on CBC on Ireland and music, history ect. Paddy Malone, lead man in the Chieftains, he believes the irish/celtics origins can be traced to northern india. He insists you can trace a fairly direct route the celts followed to reach present day gaelic/gallic stongholds.
One of the most compelling of his ideas was that the celtic route can be traced back to india, through musical instruments and the similarities in style, rhythm and sound.
I imagine during this long journey they mixed it up with a lot of different folk. The irish have only really one similar trait, really thin skin. As for colouring, it pretty much runs the gamut. Perhaps it just a story to romantise one particular group.
But then again, I grew up with folklore, music and newspapers from home.
I would love to know the truth as well.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 08:00 pm
Letty, sorry! I wouldn't mind being confused with Piffka either -- or you for that matter...

Lessee, now... so far we've said that the Gypsies, or Roma, are originally from northern India... The Irish are also from northern India, according to the chief Chieftain, and who am I to argue... Who else wants to be originally from northern India? Any takers?

Wait, wait... language? Indo-European? Is the Indo part of that from northern India?
0 Replies

makemeshiver33

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2004 09:46 pm
I am of Black Irish Blood.......5-8 tall, with green eyes and a dark complexion. Even though my hair is blonde....its naturally as black as coal. When I was a kid...it used to bother me, cause I didn't understand what they meant by it. lol Take that along with the Native American Indian and Russian, I have a mixture. My poor kids are mix to thier own, with thier dad being of Portuguese, Italian, Irish and Indian. He looks like a mafia hit man in a suit and tie with sun glasses....lmao.

Sozobe....some of the names you can use for Sozlet hair color could be Fawn....or Spun Sand.

I think that brunette refers to someone dark headed. Even though in the cosmotology world, we have come up with some new names. Mahagony, Chocolate, Cherry cola.....Irish Creme and so on....
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/11/2024 at 09:26:03