Where would you like to live outside of the U.S.? The Nordic countries would be my choice

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 01:54 pm
I was trying to discover which countries had the least corruption in their governments and the best living and economic environments for their peoples. If I had a choice between the United States and other countries to live in, I would choose one of the Nordic countries. The only thing I would not like about them are their long winters. But they have long summer nights, and their lands are beautiful. ---BBB

The Nordic model refers to the economic and social models of the Nordic countries (Denmark, Iceland, Norway, Sweden and Finland). This particular adaptation of the mixed market economy is characterised by "universalist" welfare states (relative to other developed countries), which are aimed specifically at enhancing individual autonomy, ensuring the universal provision of basic human rights and stabilising the economy. It is distinguished from other welfare states with similar goals by its emphasis on maximising labour force participation, promoting gender equality, egalitarian and extensive benefit levels, large magnitude of redistribution, and liberal use of expansionary fiscal policy. The Nordic Model however is not a single model with specific components or rules; each of the Nordic countries has its own economic and social models, sometimes with large differences from its neighbours.

Economic publications, such as "The Nordic Model - Embracing globalization and sharing risks", characterize the system as follows:

An elaborate social safety net in addition to public services such as free education and universal healthcare.

Strong property rights, contract enforcement, and overall ease of doing business.

Public pension schemes.

Low barriers to free trade. This is combined with collective risk sharing (social programmes, labour market institutions) which has provided a form of protection against the risks associated with economic openness.

Little product market regulation. Nordic countries rank very high in product market freedom according to OECD rankings.

Low levels of corruption. In Transparency International's 2010 Corruption Perceptions Index the most corrupt of the five Nordic countries were ranked 11th least corrupt of 178 evaluated countries.

High degrees of labour union membership. In 2008, labour union density was 67.5% in Finland, 67.6% in Denmark, and 68.3% in Sweden. In comparison, union membership was 11.9% in the United States and 7.7% in France.

Sweden has decentralised wage co-ordination, while Finland is ranked the least flexible. The changing economic conditions have given rise to fear among workers as well as resistance by trade unions in regards to reforms.

At the same time, reforms and favourable economic development seem to have reduced unemployment, which has traditionally been higher.

Denmark's Social Democrats managed to push through reforms in 1994 and 1996.

Sweden at 56.6% of GDP, Denmark at 51.7%, and Finland at 48.6% reflects very high public spending. One key reason for public spending is the very large number of public employees. These employees work in various fields including education, healthcare, and for the government itself. They often have lifelong job security and make up around a third of the workforce (more than 38% in Denmark). The public sector's low productivity growth has been compensated by an increase in the private sector’s share of government financed services which has included outsourcing. Public spending in social transfers such as unemployment benefits and early-retired programmes is high. In 2001, the wage-based unemployment benefits were around 90% of wage in Denmark and 80% in Sweden, compared to 75% in Holland and 60% in Germany. The unemployed were also able to receive benefits several years before reductions, compared to quick benefit reduction in other countries.

Public expenditure for health and education is significantly higher in Denmark, Sweden, and Norway in comparison to the OECD average.

Overall tax burden are among the world's highest; 51.1% of GDP in Sweden, and 43.3% in Finland, compared to 34.7% in Germany, 33.5% in Canada, and 30.5% in Ireland.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 1,355 • Replies: 15
Topic Closed
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 02:11 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
My two children and I spent three weeks in Sweden and Denmark in 1969 and loved the countries and their people. Our visit was during July so the nights were short and beautiful and the people were delightful.

BBB
hingehead

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 04:38 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
Have you ever looked at the Human Development Index?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_Human_Development_Index
Ragman

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 04:42 pm
Costa rica. Very environmentally conscious. Also a decent 'civilized' country with high standard of living too. Decent weather.

"Costa Rica, constitutionally abolished its army permanently in 1949."It is the only Latin American country included in the list of the world's 22 older democracies. Costa Rica has consistently been among the top Latin American countries in the Human Development Index, ranked 62nd in the world in 2010, and is cited by the UNDP as one of the countries that have attained much higher human development than other countries at the same income levels.The country is ranked third in the world, and first among the Americas, in terms of the 2010 Environmental Performance Index.

In 2007, the Costa Rican government announced plans for Costa Rica to become the first carbon-neutral country by 2021. According to the New Economics Foundation, Costa Rica ranks first in the Happy Planet Index and is the "greenest" country in the world."
Ragman

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 04:47 pm
@BumbleBeeBoogie,
From my perspective, it's pretty white. I like a bit more diversity.
0 Replies

hingehead

Thu 6 Oct, 2011 06:12 pm
@Ragman,
Yeah - Costa Rica has no military either from memory.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 09:54 am
@hingehead,
Very interesting information - thanks.

BBB
0 Replies

ossobuco

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:32 am
The countries that - aside from the U.S. - I love best have plenty of ongoing and historic history of corruption. I'd gladly live in Italy or Mexico part time, today, if I had the funds to work that out. That is because I know the warmth of the people in those countries. Heh, and I love the food, and much of the other elements of the culture. First choice would be Italy, since I know it much more thoroughly in time spent there and from a lot of reading over decades, and from my previous experience getting along in Italian, however imperfectly. Back when I was deciding where to move to in the late nineties and early 2000's, I did a lot of nosing around re where I might be able to move there. At that point, I figured I could do it, but not be able to go back and forth much to the U.S.

I also like Canada a quite a bit. Re places I haven't been to I'd be interested in - first, Ireland, then Brazil (I'd need to learn Portuguese) , Argentina, Costa Rica, and more.
0 Replies

Ragman

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 10:45 am
@hingehead,
that's correct. See my earlier post.
Quote:
Costa Rica, constitutionally abolished its army permanently in 1949.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 04:59 pm
@Ragman,
Upon whom do they rely for their security?
Ragman

Fri 7 Oct, 2011 05:54 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
"Costa Rica maintains small forces capable of law enforcement and foreign peacekeeping, but has no permanent standing army."
0 Replies

saab

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 10:59 am
Sweden has changed a lot since 1969, at that time we had a government which really tried to ruin people. It is different now - no inherantance taxes etc. Sweden is now a member of EU which is not only good.
Denmark voted for EU but don´t like it now - at least many people. They voted for a common market and not the dream of a common goavernment.
Norway is not a member.
Idon´find Scandinavia - the southern part - as dark as the continent during the winter, We have much more light in and around the houses. We don´t
really pull the curtains either. Just drive through Germany or Switzerland and it is dark, in some ways Scandinavia seems brighter.
BumbleBeeBoogie

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:02 am
@saab,
Thanks for the up-dates on my favorite countries.

BBB

0 Replies

saab

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:24 am
Sweden has no widow`s pension any more, which makes it difficult to stop working to care for parents, partner or handicapped children.
Ün one side we are traditional and on the other side we are rather left in politics. It is a very difficult to explain to an American eiather they will think we are left or liberal in the worst way. Or the liberals will see us as liberals and again in a not very nice way. No matter what I do I have my back behind me.
The majority of the Swedes are member of the Lutheran Church,which does not mean we are puritans - we just like to be members,
0 Replies

saab

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 11:28 am
If you worked in China you would be happy to be able to get out again, The air is terrible polluted, the working hours not very nice.
0 Replies

Miller

Mon 17 Oct, 2011 12:38 pm
I'd like to live in Canada. Never in Sweden, but perhaps in Denmark.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Where would you like to live outside of the U.S.? The Nordic countries would be my choice
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/23/2024 at 02:18:53