In Defense of Honesty?

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 02:39 pm
http://12tuesday.com/in-defense-of-honesty/

Just wondering is anyone had any thoughts on this at all?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 464 • Replies: 2
No top replies

fresco

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 07:06 pm
@Chights47,
Without the original Harris text it may be inappropriate to comment. However, Harris appears to be taking the Kantian position of advocating "a moral imperative", which raises the much debated (here) general issue of whether "morality" is relative or absolute. A secondary consideration with respect to the sub-issue "lying", is whether "truth" per se is relative or absolute.
My own inclination in this matter is to argue for relativity on both counts, with a further suggestion that views on the nature of "self" may also be significant to the debate. (This last point can be explored in association with rejection of the Kantian concept of "noumena" in line with some phenomenologists) .
Chinspinner

Reply Fri 23 Sep, 2011 09:43 pm
@fresco,
Well without having studied this area in much detail, I would say that lies are an evolutionary requirement. Dam, if my bird thought she looked like crap I would never get laid, but if, I dunno, Komodo, thought my family weren't about to circle the shitter he would poison me. My point is morality is relative, and there is no black or white. Now if you were to ask me me if Fresco has a good bit of arse I'd have to say, yes, its bloody fantastic, draw your own conclusions>
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » In Defense of Honesty?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 12:21:21