Have you ever gotten counterfeit money?

jcboy

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 04:54 am
On my way home from the gym I stopped at this little market to buy milk. Antonio has to have his cereal every morning. I gave the guy a ten dollar bill and he pulls out his little marker, then hands the bill back to me, said this one is no good. He told me he’s been getting quite a few counterfeit ten-dollar bills lately so he’s checking all that come in.

This was a first time for me. Of course I may have had them before, not many clerks check the money when you hand it to them. I think I’ll frame it. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 13 • Views: 2,836 • Replies: 17
Topic Closed
No top replies

MMarciano

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:26 am
@jcboy,
Did you get the milk? I like cereal too.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:30 am
@jcboy,
It is possible I have gotten counterfeit money. But if so, I spent it without ever knowing. I think most of the decent counterfeit money is received and spent without incident. I don't know how to check and most of the stores I go to never check either.

Maybe I should get myself a marker.

Or maybe not.
hawkeye10

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:34 am
Yes, we are military and for awhile when we were in Germany bad money was a big problem in the military stores.

Checking $10's seems like a waste of time though, as most of the time only $20's go to the bank, all smaller bills get used as change....take a bad $10 ten into the till and at some point hand it back to some schmuck as change, it is not the stores problem so long as it is passable.
0 Replies

MMarciano

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:35 am
@maxdancona,
I have noticed a lot of the smaller stores checking bills, especially the fast food places when I stop for lunch.
Ragman

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 05:50 am
@jcboy,
Since they redesigned the currency, the bills are holographicly engraved so the incidences of counterfeiting are far less frequent. It's insane for someone to counterfeit ten dollar bills, because if you get caught, the punishment is severe. Only amateurs or idiots would counterfeit $10 bills, frankly.
0 Replies

Ragman

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 06:17 am
@MMarciano,
"Although all denominations of currency beginning with series 1996 have security features, the number of features will vary according to the note's denomination and series."
jcboy

Tue 20 Sep, 2011 04:47 pm
@Ragman,
I know the man who owns the little market I stopped at. He told me he had to start checking bills because he’s received quite a few over the last several months.

I’m saving mine as a souvenir.
Ragman

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 06:43 am
@jcboy,
better idea keeping as a souvenir ..than trying spending it..LOL.

apparently I just learned counterfeiting 10s is not so rare as I had thought.
Ceili

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 09:39 am
I got a fake twenty years ago. I don't think it could be done here now, the bills are very sophisticated. The hologram runs through all the bills now. Many shops have a fake bill detector here. Here some of the detail on a $10.
http://laurelrusswurm.files.wordpress.com/2009/11/ten-dollar-bill.png?w=376&h=170
http://mytornadoalley.files.wordpress.com/2009/12/canadian_bills.jpg
0 Replies

jcboy

Wed 21 Sep, 2011 04:33 pm
@Ragman,
That’s what the guy at the store told me, he said once I know it’s counterfeit if I were to try to pass it on and got caught I could be held responsible.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 12:38 am
@jcboy,
jcboy wrote:

That’s what the guy at the store told me, he said once I know it’s counterfeit if I were to try to pass it on and got caught I could be held responsible.
sure, but there is no law that says a business owner must security check each bill...if it looks reasonably real they should be fine. Most likely the cops are going around trying to scare the merchants, and the merchants having been around the block know that when the state wants to **** with people they have targeted they usually get away with it, because we live in a police state ofter all.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:02 am
@Ragman,
Counterfeiting 10s is not all that rare, ragman, precisely because everyone thinks it would be a waste of ink and paper etc. and, as a result, very few store owners check a bill that small. They're easy to pass off as genuine.
hawkeye10

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 01:07 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:

Counterfeiting 10s is not all that rare, ragman, precisely because everyone thinks it would be a waste of ink and paper etc. and, as a result, very few store owners check a bill that small. They're easy to pass off as genuine.
multible places say that large numbers of bad $10's is a new problem.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:43 am
@jcboy,
Quote:
Have you ever gotten counterfeit money?
A merchant tried to give me a fony $5; I rejected it, objecting in an audible voice.

David
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 09:44 am
@jcboy,
Do you know where you got the fake 10 from?
MontereyJack

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 10:08 am
I don't know if this is sufficient, but if I get a bigger bill, I'll usually hold it up to the light to check if it has a security stripe and a watermark of whoever is on the bill--features which as far as I know aren't duplicable on regularly-available printers. So far every time I've checked they've been there.
0 Replies

jcboy

Thu 22 Sep, 2011 02:10 pm
@InfraBlue,
Oh I do, last time I went to the grocery store I got 50.00 cash back, two twenties and a ten, I guess they don't check their money.

There is one guy at work I don't really care for, I'm thinking of bringing it in and accidently dropping by his office door Wink
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Have you ever gotten counterfeit money?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 05:03:53