What is your most worn in, but not worn out item?

George

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 10:47 am
@shewolfnm,
shewolfnm wrote:
. . . I have [it] that is finger worn from the previous owner .
I am using it almost exclusively now . . .
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 03:44 pm
@boomerang,
I had to think long & hard before responding to your question, boomerang.
I believe it's book of poetry, given to me by my very first real boyfriend, in the late 1960s, when we were both students.
Poems 1923 - 1954. E.E. Cummings. (spelt with capital "E"s)
The occasion was Olga's Day, according to the Latvian book of name days. However, it was a belated gift, according to the inscription. It had to be ordered & delivered from the US. I think I received it on St Valentine's Day.
Books of poetry have come & gone, been borrowed & never returned, but this one I've treasured & read from often. It is very special & holds special memories. Every poem is wonderful.

Random selection. Page 197:

my sweet old etcetera
aunt lucy during the recent

war could and what
is more did tell you just
what everybody was fighting

for,
my sister

Isabel created hundreds
(and
hundreds)of socks not to
mention fleaproof earwarmers
etcetera wristers etcetera, my
mother hoped that

i would die etcetera
bravely of course my father used
to become hoarse talking about how it was
a privilege and if only he
could meanwhile my

self etcetera lay quietly
in the deep mud et

cetera
(dreaming,
et
cetera, of
Your smile
eyes knees and of your Etcetera)

~
boomerang

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 04:31 pm
@msolga,
Beautiful!

Thank you.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 06:00 pm
A bunch of 'em: T shirts, jeans, coveralls, gaunch, socks w/ no holes, ... , aka real comfortable clothes.
0 Replies

wayne

Reply Thu 25 Aug, 2011 09:19 pm
My leather jacket, of course.
Also, a pair of sandals, 16 summers and counting.
0 Replies

jcboy

Reply Fri 26 Aug, 2011 04:32 am
@chai2,
Quote:
I'd say my vagina.

HAHAHA. Ewe.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 08:54 pm
I've got an axe that was my great grandfather's.

It's had a couple of new heads and lots of new handles, but still works like new.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 28 Aug, 2011 10:30 pm
@Eorl,
I had a great old shovel - seemed forged, but maybe that was a much older style of shovel instead - from my father, and for all I know, it was from my grandfather, who died in the late 20's. But, let's say, at least from as far back as the thirties. The handle finally broke when I was gardening at my last house, and like a fool I didn't attempt to get a substitute handle. (Other things going on at the time, bah, humbug)
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 29 Aug, 2011 01:33 am
@boomerang,
A suede jacket I've had since I was 15. Soft as butter. I wore it for years. My daughter came across it in a coat closet when she was in her early teens. We had the lining replaced and she wore it for years. Now it's back in the closet ...

My grandmother's cast iron frying pans. I don't know how old they are, but she was born in 1888. She passed them on to my mom, and they came to me when Mother passed away.

Worn in but not worn out to me: a very small silk flower arrangement under glass, rather shabby from the beginning and with a faded blue ribbon around the base, but it's very precious to me. My son bought it for me when he was four years old. For 10 cents. From a neighbourhood garage sale. He was so very proud his first gift for his mommy.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 08:46:45