please comment on this writing

bubu

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 10:49 am
The following is a small paragraph my friend composed on the independence of India. I would like an honest assessment of the standard and the style of the writing.

Tantalizing independence of India was at last achieved and enjoyed at first on 15th August 1947. Countless martyrs fell prey to the pathetic display of dignity to bring us the smile of independence. But we are yet to be fit to rise to our feet to hold the sweet canopy our beloved independence. With the bitter sweet experiences of the long 64 years, we have reached this day to stand united under the tri colour flag - the life and pride of our country. It is not only an auspicious day for us but also a red letter day to remind us to convince the world of our national integrity. As the future citizens of the holy country, we the students should pledge allegiance to the flag and get ready to walk all the futurity with the pride of freedom so that we can not blame ourselves of being black sheep of mother india. With all her blessings let us move forward.

I really want sincere criticism so that we can improve our style of writing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 575 • Replies: 3
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 11:04 am
@bubu,
Tantalizing independence of India was at last achieved and enjoyed at first on 15th August 1947.

Tantalizing independence of India was at last achieved and enjoyed [at] first on 15th August 1947.

1. I don't understand what 'tantalizing' suggests here. As I don't know what meaning you intend, I can't rule it out completely but it doesn't sound quite right.

2. "at first" is reserved more for speech.

Countless martyrs fell prey to the pathetic display of dignity to bring us the smile of independence.

The grammar is all there but the meaning is a bit unclear.

But we are yet to be fit to rise to our feet to hold the sweet canopy our beloved independence.

But we are not yet fit to rise to our feet to hold the sweet canopy of our beloved independence.

With the bitter sweet experiences of the long 64 years, we have reached this day to stand united under the tri colour flag - the life and pride of our country.

[With] Despite/In spite of [??] the bitter sweet experiences of [the] that long 64 years, we have reached this day to stand united under the tri colour flag - the life and pride of our country.

Let's stop here for now, Bubu. These are all mostly suggestions I've made.
0 Replies

bubu

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:11 pm
thank you for the suggestions. But can you please comment on the style of writing. The mataphors, phrases etc. Do they sound English?
JTT

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:22 pm
@bubu,
Quote:
The mataphors, phrases etc. Do they sound English?

No, they don't sound familiar, Bubu, but writers are always looking for new and catchy combinations of words.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » please comment on this writing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:38:24