Do you love or hate J.S. Bach?

The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 07:11 am
@Lustig Andrei,
God, that's such a ClassicFM opinion. Sorry but I don't agree. I just think it paints a more 'dreamy' tonal landscape which you feel you don't have to pay attention to. There's no doubt that you gain more from all 'serious' music by listening more intently.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 09:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Quote:
What I mean is that it's possible to have, say, Debussy playing without having to actually pay attention. Not so with Bach.

It depends on what you're listening for and what you think is worth paying attention to. If it's counterpoint, fugal writing, etc., then sure, Debussy has less to offer than Bach and can safely be relegated to the background. If it's the extension of diatonic harmony and/or the use of non-functional harmony, I'd say it's impossible not to pay attention to Debussy's music when it's playing, and by that particular standard Bach can serve as sonic wallpaper as easily as Telemann, Corelli, or any other Baroque composer whose music is most often found in dentist's offices today.
Thomas

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 10:06 pm
@Shapeless,
Shapeless wrote:
What I mean is that it's possible to have, say, Debussy playing without having to actually pay attention. Not so with Bach.

In that case, Bach would have failed miserably in his Goldberg Variations. After all, their purpose wasn't just to not be paid attention to. They were commissioned to help their commissioner fall asleep.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 01:03 am
@Thomas,
True dat, Thomas.

But these are just extremely personal musical idiosincracies we're discussing here. I cheerfully admit that all I say about musical tastes applies only to myself, not necessarily to anyone else. Personal tastes don't need to be defended.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:57 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Oh ok well that's fine then.

I personally listen to Gabba to relax.
0 Replies

bryanted

Reply Sat 23 Mar, 2013 12:02 am
To me his music is boring. When I hear classiccal song I dont like It seems 80 percent
Chance it will be Bach . Some of his works seem mathamatical repetitive and with out
Soul and feeling.
0 Replies

kwraakie

Reply Mon 25 Mar, 2013 04:59 pm
Yes! I think I am the first person here who can say I hate Bach on the piano!

Really, I play piano for almost 20 years now and I enjoy playing romantic pieces from Grieg to Chopin, Brahms and many more. My teachter made me study Bach. I do think it is good for training finger indepenence and gaining technique. But musical, in my opinion, his keyboard works are not made for the piano. Well tempered klavier. YECH! Theoretical pieces great for analysing (think differential equations as I am a physicist) Bot emotional dead as a stone!

I have tried to learn to love his paino works, but it didnt work for me.

Try Buxtehude, if you want someting different and more emotional alive.
0 Replies

swasasu

Reply Sun 13 Apr, 2014 09:49 am
no ways..i love listening to him while studying and working..it just calms me down..
0 Replies