Lovatts BIG May 2011 ACROSTIC

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 06:14 am
I have an old issue of Lovatts BIG May 2011 and am trying to work out the ACROSTIC on page 54. Not doing it for any competitions... much too late for that, but it is driving me crazy not being able to work out the answers to the questions.
For example, I have no idea what "London's famous gateway" is. And the saying "***** *** old rope". In fact I know only 4 of the answers. I tried to Google for the answers but failed dismally. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 5
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 07:11 am
@drillersmum,
Acrostics are tough to work out without the magazine (a lot of us do this for fun because we like word games but don't get the magazines). I wonder how we could do this effectively. Any ideas? Smile
drillersmum

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 08:19 am
@jespah,
That's a bit hard to figure out. One of the questions I couldn't answer was "Knock-out" (round) and the answer contains eleven letters. That's all I've got to go on. Another question was "Saying...... old rope" and the answer contained eight letters. (5,3) ***** *** old rope. Maybe ***** and old rope might work. I tried googling but really had a hard time trying to figure out what key words I needed to enter. It's not worth getting stressed out over.... I just reckon if I don't ask I'll never learn.
Thanks for your message.
jespah

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 04:30 pm
@drillersmum,
I was doing the NY Times acrostic (it was a quote about cartoonists, and why they usually use capital letters) and thought of this topic!

PS I just (helfino how I found this) found, it's Money and old rope. I found it here: http://www.localhistories.org/sayings.html
0 Replies

philcottie

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2011 06:04 pm
@drillersmum,
Hi drillersmum this is a bit hard for us other puzzlers and my case the mag has been thrown out because we are now on the Aug issue of "BIG" philcottie
0 Replies

ragnel

Reply Mon 1 Aug, 2011 12:54 am
@drillersmum,
Being a pack-rat from way back, I had a bit of a hunt around and found my old May BIG (I keep them for a while and use old unused grids to work out my contest entries and then copy them onto the entry form), so you are in luck.
London's gateway is MARBLE ARCH; the saying is MONEY FOR old rope; and knock out (round) is ELIMINATION.

Can't say I'm really keen on Acrostics. It's mind-bending going back and forth from the clues to the grid for each letter. The clues are often also somewhat slanted I feel rather than being truly definitive, but that's just a personal gripe.

If you need any more help with it, just yell out.
0 Replies