What's the deal with the Internet Wayback Machine's new interface, and what happened to the old one?

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2011 05:28 pm
I sometimes go to the Internet Wayback Machine to look for archived web pages. I don't like Internet Wayback Machine Beta. What happened to the original version of the search engine?

When you go to

http://wayback.archive.org/web/

You get a screen that says:

Surf the web as it was - BETA version!
The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine puts the history of the World Wide Web at your fingertips. We invite you to explore this new, BETA version of the Wayback Machine and contact us with any feedback. The classic version of the Wayback Machine is still available at classic-web.archive.org/.

However when you click on:
classic-web.archive.org/.

That link doens't work. That's misleading. What's up with the site?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,059 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 06:55 pm
No one here uses the Internet Wayback Machine to look at old web pages? At all? I find that hard to believe.
djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:00 pm
@JGoldman10,
i haven't seen all the new web pages yet, why would i want to look at the old ones
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:04 pm
@djjd62,
Some older web pages get archived and sometimes if you have issues going back to them you can look them up on the Wayback Machine as back-up.
JGoldman10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:51 pm
@djjd62,
I do a lot of research on the Web and I've been using the Net for YEARS. There's a lot of OLD STUFF i want to go back and revisit. Once in a while if you have issues locating old websites, like I said, you can search for them on the Wayback Machine- THEY PRESERVE COPIES OF WEBPAGES ON THE WAYBACK MACHINE. You can consider that BACK-UP.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:53 pm
@JGoldman10,
can't think of any website that doesn't still exist i'd want to go back to, look ahead i say, the past was yesterday
0 Replies

JGoldman10

Reply Fri 29 Jul, 2011 07:56 pm
When you type in:

classic-web.archive.org

You get

http://wayback.archive.org/web/

I don't like the BETA version of the Archive- it's too busy and cumbersome. The ORIGINAL version was much simplier.

If they got rid of the old interface or merged it with the new one, they should just tell people that. That is VERY MISLEADING.

I asked the people at archive.org about this. I am waiting to hear back from them.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's the deal with the Internet Wayback Machine's new interface, and what happened to the old one?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 01:31:36