Anyone else using Google+ on a2k yet?

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:31 pm
I've been playing around with Google's new social network, Google+ a bit and am wondering if anyone on a2k has gotten on yet and if so what you thought about it.

sozobe

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:32 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Not yet.

I like the circles idea.

What do you think of it so far?
Robert Gentel

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:44 pm
@sozobe,
It's like a cleaner more usable Facebook with non-mutual follows. The circles implementation is nice for sharing with smaller circles but currently doesn't do much to help you manage your perusal with them as filters (i.e. you have only global stream then circles, but you can't do things like exclude a certain circle from the default stream etc right now).

The hangouts are probably the biggest new thing they bring to the table, it's certainly the best major implementation of video chat but I've only played with that with Nick a bit and probably won't use it till more folks I know offline are on there.
Robert Gentel

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 07:56 pm
@sozobe,
This photo sums up part of what I want: a cross between following people and subject matter (e.g. a lot of people I follow for only a subset of what they say).

http://i.imgur.com/aB5Op.jpg
sozobe

@Robert Gentel,
I'm most interested in tailoring output -- there are people who are very interested in what the kid has been up to and those who couldn't care less, those who are local and so would like to know about the great new restaurant and those who live on the other side of the world, etc.

Plus tone stuff. (There are things I'd say to my queer activist/ burlesque performer/ highly inappropriate but hilarious friend H that I would not say to my 12-year old niece. Though I am happy to be friends with both.)
sozobe

@Robert Gentel,
Cool.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:14 pm
@sozobe,
For those scenarios it's a great match. For me, there's little I'd want to say to more than one person that I wouldn't want to say to everyone so the problem for me is that I want people to be able to filter that better.

For example, most of my close family and friends aren't interested in certain tech subjects, but they aren't posts I want to hide from the public, just subjects that I want those who follow me to be able to exclude. It'd be tough to pull off, but my holy grail is to be able to better filter by subject. I'd love to be able to post all the geek crap I want to geeks and not make friends want to unsubscribe but at the same time I want the posts to be publicly accessible (anything you post to a circle is not public).

If your social graph moves over there I think the circles concept would work very well for your use case though. That remains to be seen (whether it will go mainstream like FB) but it's past 20 million users already without being fully open.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 08:40 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I haven't gone that route yet. It sounds complicated.

BTW, I hate Facebook. Hate it with a passion and go there only if I get an e-mail telling me someobody's been writing on my wall or something like that.
0 Replies

Questioner

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:14 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I've been on it for a few days now. First impressions:
1) The interface is clean and showcases Google's ongoing commitment to user experience research.
2) The circles are essentially what Facebook groups tried to be minus the extra steps.
3) The ease of adding/separating known email addresses from my address book into the various circles is a nice touch.

On the whole I haven't found much to complain about yet, but as I said it's only been a few days.
Robert Gentel

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:17 pm
@Questioner,
Questioner wrote:
2) The circles are essentially what Facebook groups tried to be minus the extra steps.

Groups and Lists. FB swung twice on this one so far and I agree with you about the + UI being more cleanly implemented on this particularly.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:41 pm
Are self invites welcome now?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Thu 21 Jul, 2011 09:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
I think that I 'm about to join it.
I 'm getting an invitation for Google +
thru a 2nd Amendment forum.

I dunno how it works yet.

David
0 Replies

jespah

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 05:36 am
I'm in (I've actually added you, Robert). I had been dallying with it, had joined and done squat, when I got a notification that someone loved a blog post of mine, and shared it. A fan? More than one? Wacky (and yes, I know, this can happen via FB, but the liking/commenting thing pulled me in faster).
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 07:17 am

Can anyone explain
the results of adopting Google + ??

David
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:57 pm
I have tried to get on there, but have not been able to come close.
Robert Gentel

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 01:58 pm
@edgarblythe,
I can invite you if you want, PM me a gmail address for the invite.
0 Replies

djjd62

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:01 pm
i really like it so far
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 22 Jul, 2011 03:45 pm
I am there. I have invited family to join me, so far.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Sat 23 Jul, 2011 09:33 am
@Robert Gentel,
No. But I've been listening to Leo Laporte and the TWIT gang talk about it. Still not sure the raison d'etre of the whole thing.

Is it by invitation only like Gmail used to be?
yahoomail

Sun 24 Jul, 2011 12:27 am
@Robert Gentel,
have u got invite if yes

pleeez mail me @[email protected]

i want it pleeeeeeeeeeeeeez
0 Replies