what is the meaning of the word 'suppose' in this context?

bubu

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 11:06 am
Hello,
The text below is an extract from a highschool english book.

My mother looked at me angrily. "I know " she said, "you are supposed to be a writer and I suppose you are. You smoke enough cigarettes to be just anything and the whole house is full of smoke. But you should learn a craft. Some thing that can be touched and seen.

What are the meanings of the word 'suppose' used twice in the paragraph?

Thank you in advance
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,135 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 05:13 pm
@bubu,
It means the same as "assumed".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2011 07:42 pm
@bubu,
Quote:
My mother looked at me angrily. "I know " she said, "you are supposed to be a writer and I suppose you are.

As Roger noted, suppose = assume, which is strong enough that it can be equated with a modal meaning in the range of 'probably/likely/should'. It doesn't mean all of those all the time.

While 'probably/likely/should' express the opinion of the speaker, 'be supposed to' connotes that this is coming from some other source, usually a higher authority.

Examples:

You should do your homework.

[My opinion that it's a good thing to do your homework]

You're supposed to do your homework.

[Me, expressing that some higher authority, maybe a parent or teacher, believes you should be doing your homework]

"I know " she said, "you are supposed to be a writer [I hear on good source that you are a writer]

I suppose you are [you probably are].
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » what is the meaning of the word 'suppose' in this context?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 02:05:27