PLEASE HELP ME !

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 12:23 am
My son tragically died in his room at his college campus 9 months ago while studying in the UK. His laptop was in his room and the investigating officers confirmed to me that they did access his computer while in his room for an hour or so but since they did not find any thing suspicious they left it in his room.A friend was kind enough to go to the college and pack all his belongings in boxes and suitcases. His laptop was also packed away in one of the suitcases. The college Head Tutor informed me that his things would be safe in his room and there was no rush for me to fly to the UK to collect them. I finally went to the UK and collected his belongings 6 weeks after he died. Once back home in Cyprus when we had his computer looked at by an computer expert it was established that my sons laptop was accessed almost every day continually from the day he died until the morning that I arrived 6 weeks later.All kinds of files, folders and applications were accessed clearly showing the dates and times which sometimes were afternoon, late evening and even at 3, 4, 5 and 6 in the morning and not necessarily on the hour. When I informed the College authorities of this their reply was as follows, " On the question of the laptop, our Computer Officer has examined the photographs and the information you provided. He believes the explanation is that the computer was accidentally left on after the police examined it and the activity noted was due to efforts by the computer to update its software. The Computer Officer would need further information to be absolutely sure that this is what happened but this seems the most likely explanation because, as far as I am aware, the laptop remained in the locked room until you collected it". Is this explanation at all possible ? Could the laptop while folded closed and in a suitcase be on or in a standby mode or hibernation and keep its power for 6 weeks while trying to update software? Surely this would happen at set intervals whereas the access times have no pattern. Please help and try to answer some of these questions as I feel the College is trying to cover up something. Desperately hoping for answers. Joseph. Ps My sons laptop is an Acer Aspire 5740G
[email protected]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 737 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 04:06 am
@modestos,
I have no idea - maybe ask Acer whether their equipment can update while folded (which I doubt). And talk to an attorney as at the very least there seems to be a question as to chain of custody.
0 Replies

PhoebeKate

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2011 08:27 am
@modestos,
I am sorry for your loss. But I don't believe that Acer's battery will last 6 weeks even on standby mode. (I use Acer Aspire 4736Z.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » PLEASE HELP ME !
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:32:13