Where do your favorite police procedurals come from?

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:25 pm
What is your source for copper shows? From where do you get your fix of cops and robbers? Is your favorite sleuth a private investigator? A DCI? A consulting psychologist? Someone else?

In books, movies, television series, which country makes the best police procedurals?
http://www.wearysloth.com/Gallery/ActorsG/tve26906-20070718-1657.jpg

Are they quaint Victorian era murder mysteries? Or do they involve gritty and brutal blood and bones serial killers? Do the criminals, the victims, and the lot live in the era of the black plague? Or are the cops breaking new ground in the field of police investigation with high tech and techniques of the near future?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 4,243 • Replies: 28
No top replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:37 pm
@tsarstepan,
ah, good old Wire in the Blood, great show

i love brit police shows, A Touch of Frost, Single Handed, Inspector George Gently, Morse, Lewis, The Inspector Lynley Mysteries, Taggart, Midsommer Murders, Rosemary and Thyme, Prime Suspect, Hetty Wainthrop Investigates, the list goes on

i think the last american police type show i watched with any regularity was Hill Street Blues and The Rockfrod Files
JPB

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:37 pm
Bong, bong.

Law and Order. The original.

I've seen 'em all at least once and most of them multiple times.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:38 pm
@djjd62,
also a huge fan of Wallander (the BBC produced version)
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:45 pm
@tsarstepan,
Murdoch Mysteries
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murdoch_Mysteries

The Closer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Closer

Dalziel and Pascoe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daziel_and_Pascoe

Midsomer Murders (before it finished)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midsomer_Murders

Law & Order: UK (not sure what's going on with it, at the moment)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Law_and_order_uk

Along with many of the ones DJ has mentioned.
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:49 pm
@Reyn,
Dalziel and Pascoe, very good

i could never tell if they were playing Murdoch Mysteries for laughs or for real, would really like to see the original films that were made (3, not starring the TV show folks) that were apparently more serious and truer to the novels
farmerman

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:50 pm
@Reyn,
Police Squad (the original with LEslie Nielsen)

RENO 911

NCIS (I love how thweir forensics gal is trained in everything rom physics, to haematology to engineering )-Real life aint like that but it keeps it moving

LAw and Order with Chris Noth and all the hottie ADA's
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:55 pm
Some of my favorites have been, over a long span of years:
NYPD Blue, Dragnet, Peter Gunne, The Mentalist, Columbo, Barney Miller. I can't recall some of the titles just now.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:55 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i could never tell if they were playing Murdoch Mysteries for laughs or for real, ...

You must admit MM is a heck of a lot better than most fair these days. Give it a chance. I think it's not half bad.

I'm sorry to see that basicly Helene Joy has left the show though.

http://i.fanpix.net/images/orig/k/l/klh2ktxglib11bg.jpg
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 07:59 pm
@Reyn,
i've only seen the most recent season, it was a fun show, but sometimes seemed awfully tongue in cheek

and the pathologist was not in the first few episodes of the last season but she did return about half way through
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:06 pm
i'm not a big crime or mystery reader, i did rather enjoy Caleb Carr's The Alienist and The Angel of Darkness

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:12 pm
@tsarstepan,
also quite enjoyed Touching Evil, Robson Green's (what a great name) cop show before Wire in the Blood

the brits love their serial killers
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:13 pm
@djjd62,
I'm presently watching a marathon of Wire in the Blood. Four seasons this past week. Okay, four very short seasons but still an enjoyable marathon.
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:19 pm
@tsarstepan,
there's a stand alone movie where Tony goes to Texas to give testimony in a murder case involving an american soldier he examined while the soldier was based in England (in England he was charged with a rape and abduction, but slipped out of the country on a military transport before he could be charged), a really interesting story, and Dr. Hill in Texas is a real fish out of water tale
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:23 pm
@tsarstepan,
I mostly know about book police procedurals (or legal procedurals). It's hard to just pick one country. I can pick a publisher I like - Soho Crime, not that every single author is terrific, but that I have liked most of the 50 or so of theirs I've read, and they have been set in many different countries. Many good ones set in France. http://www.sohocrime.com/

I've liked some spanish writers, whether or not from Soho press, one with a name like Riberte, but that's not it.
A lot of the procedurals set in Italy are by expats from elsewhere, so that's not quite fair, even though I've read hundreds; those tend to be written as a series though not always. Of those written by an italian, I like Gianrico Carafiglio's legal procedurals. Um, Scotland, I read most of Rankin up until just recently. Sweden, Mankell. Before I liked Mankell, I devoured the Maj Sjovall and Per Walloo books. Other Europeans, de Freeling and van Weeterling (?spelling on both) - read those early, no idea what I'd think now.
Japan, Natsuo Kirino, Miyuki Miyabe (have only read one of each) There was a male writer I read a lot of quite a few years ago, about a policeman in Osaka, forget the author's name.
Then there's Brazil.. Luiz Alfredo Garcia-Rosa, very psychology oriented police guy.

I am probably least interested now in English detective or police books/authors, having overdosed early on, reading every one of many of the authors' books.
I've have liked a lot of US authors - presently liking Joseph Kanon, he writes complicated books - usually they're not by Soho Press either, or not the ones I've ordered - since when I buy online from them, I tend to choose in part because I travel through books, always have. But, back to the US, I especially like Lorenzo Carcaterra (not everyone's cup of tea) and Richard Price; read my way through Elmore Leonard and now his son. Well, too many to mention, going back to some forties' writers. Read Hammett and Chandler early, if you think of those as procedurals. There's a present day writer I think Panzade mentioned, I'm blanking on his name.

In summary, for books that often surprise me with their stories, Soho Press. For regular favorites, maybe the US by a hair if only for sheer volume reading over decades, but on those I'm very picky. I pretty much despise best seller type stuff that's pulse written (in my view).

Reyn

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:25 pm
@djjd62,
djjd62 wrote:

i've only seen the most recent season, it was a fun show, but sometimes seemed awfully tongue in cheek

and the pathologist was not in the first few episodes of the last season but she did return about half way through

Yes, there are some aspects of that, but all-in-all, it's done in Victorian times, and I think it does a reasonable job of it. Definitely in the passable category.

Part of the problem with the show is the daft way the schedule has been handled. It seemed to us for a while that the show had been cancelled, as it had been off the air for an extended period of time.
djjd62

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:29 pm
@Reyn,
i just kind of stumbled upon it on a, shall we say, less than legitimate site for procuring media, what's really funny, all the episodes i saw, were recorded from British TV (ITV i believe)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 08:46 pm
@ossobuco,
I see I didn't answer your questions, Tsar. I got over cute procedurals early. That was decades ago. I've long been entirely sick of genteel mysteries. Someone like Carcaterra gets to the fine hairs in his books (Sleepers, Apaches) and you believe him.

On the other hand, I hate the best seller pulse stuff, the it's been a dozen pages, time-for-another-brutality style. I'll make an exception for Leonard, he's a step crazier than the norm and I don't put him in that category.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:07 pm
@ossobuco,
One of my favorite detective series was written by one of those real famous guys nobody ever heard from - Rick Riordan. You gotta love a private detective who has to try to tail people in a beat to death, semi-reliable, orange Volkswagen bug. Most of his characters and locals are in and around San Antonio, TX, probably because that's where Riordan come from.

Probably kind of a cool character himself. While publishing his first four or six novels, he also taught English at the middle school level in San Antonio. I hope his kids appreciated being taught by a successful published author.

Sadly, he seems to have gotten away from his roots in crime, and is now doing a series involving (I think) gods of Olympus and juvenile characters. They made at least one animated movie from one of his books, and he moved to Los Angeles to be involved in production. Last I heard of him was in Forbes as one of the up and coming "talent" millionaires.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 26 Jun, 2011 10:21 pm
@roger,
Interesting, I'd like to read one of his crime books. Will keep my eye out.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Where do your favorite police procedurals come from?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 12:32:39