0
   

Is there any reason to fear death?

 
 
Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 12:10 pm
I'm doing this for a philosphy project at A level anyone have any texts or particular philosphers they can point me to? Doesn't have to be an 'old' philospher and I've already gone through Epicuras.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,563 • Replies: 18
No top replies

 
igm
 
  1  
Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 04:15 pm
@yorozuya,
yorozuya wrote:

I'm doing this for a philosphy project at A level anyone have any texts or particular philosphers they can point me to? Doesn't have to be an 'old' philospher and I've already gone through Epicuras.

You should find enough material on this ‘Yale’ site via the site’s course index etc.
http://academicearth.org/lectures/fear-of-death
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  2  
Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 06:18 pm
@yorozuya,
yorozuya wrote:
Is there any reason to fear death?
Yes. It can make you die.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2011 07:39 pm
@rosborne979,
yorozuya wrote:
Is there any reason to fear death?
rosborne979 wrote:
Yes. It can make you die.
BULLoney! "Death" is a fake.

Its only an idle superstition. www.IANDS.org





David

rosborne979
 
  2  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 04:43 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

yorozuya wrote:
Is there any reason to fear death?
rosborne979 wrote:
Yes. It can make you die.
BULLoney! "Death" is a fake.
Its only an idle superstition. www.IANDS.org

Yeh, right. That's the last thing people hear right before they start passing the *special* KoolAid around.
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 05:42 am
@rosborne979,
R u implying that I recommended suicide ?
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 07:42 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

R u implying that I recommended suicide ?

I hadn't thought of that. Do you feel like you might have implied suicide?
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 07:55 am
@rosborne979,
Death doesn't make you die, cells deciding to cease working for their living is what really kills a person.
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 07:56 am
@yorozuya,
There's no known reason to fear death, it's all part of the natural progression.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:14 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
Death doesn't make you die, cells deciding to cease working for their living is what really kills a person.

You're being pedantic. My point was that losing your life is something to be avoided (since you only have one life that we are aware of, and you're going to lose it anyway in the end, why lose it prematurely), and the reason for fear is that fear can keep you alive if you use it wisely.
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:21 am
@rosborne979,
Fear can also kill you since in essence fear is stupidity.
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:30 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Fear can also kill you since in essence fear is stupidity.
If you say so.

The point, in answer to the original question, is that it's not death that we should fear, but loss of life. And fear is a perfectly reasonable emotion when you have everything to lose.
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:35 am
@rosborne979,
Why would you fear the loss of life? That's idiocy at it's best. Life ends in death, a natural progression there's nothing to fear.
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:37 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:

Why would you fear the loss of life? That's idiocy at it's best. Life ends in death, a natural progression there's nothing to fear.

You don't seem to get the point. I'm sorry. Maybe others will.
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 08:41 am
@rosborne979,
No, you are the one that doesn't get the point. The point is...and try hard to grasp hold of this...death (physical, earthly death) is not something to be feared for any reason, it is a part of the natural progression. Maybe once you've been up close and personal with it a few times it'll solidify as a concept in your brain.

But, hey, I'm open minded, you want to go through life with an absurd and useless fear then by all means go for it, I've better things to do with my energies.
Ragman
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 10:11 am
@Sturgis,
You ever hear of Woody Allen? Fear of death (useless as it is) is not exactly rare in our (western) society. Worry and jealousy are wasted emotions, too. That doesn't stop people from feeling those feelings.
Sturgis
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:21 am
@Ragman,
True true so true.

My question is, if a person spends all their time fearing death, how do they manage to live?
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 11:56 am
@Sturgis,
Sturgis wrote:
True true so true.

My question is, if a person spends all their time fearing death, how do they manage to live?
By definition, the answer is: in fear.
I don 't recommend it.
0 Replies
 
OmSigDAVID
 
  1  
Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2011 12:00 pm
@rosborne979,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

R u implying that I recommended suicide ?
rosborne979 wrote:
I hadn't thought of that. Do you feel like you might have implied suicide?
No.

U referred to " the *special* KoolAid ".





David
0 Replies
 
 

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Is there any reason to fear death?
Copyright © 2019 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/13/2019 at 05:30:22