I thought this was rather mean & selfish

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 10:54 pm
Pet owners - don't give the virtual beatdown.

While I was driving to work the other day, I noticed a sign that I'd seen every morning for the past week. The sign was one that you buy, it was not a shoddy sign, but it wasn't one that was haphazardly thrown up. The person paid money for people to see the sign. It was stuck in the round in front of a wooden post. It was selling a house.

A few mornings ago, I notied that someone had taped another sign over this purchased one. Advertising a lost dog.

I know this is important to the dog owner, but I thought it extremely inconsiderate of them. After two days, the sign was still covering the purchased one, on the 3rd day, it was ripped off and stuck on the wooden post.

Why would someone think it's okay to cover up someone else's sign? No matter what the deal. It would have been just as easy to put the lost dog sign on the wooden post to begin with, am I right? Neither sign was mine, but I was thoroughly pissed off at the inconsiderateness of the pet-owner.

your thoughts?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 844 • Replies: 13
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 11:28 pm
I'm afraid "inconsiderateness" in our society is rampant from shouting matches on cell phones (as if they needed to share their private info with all of us), talkers in theaters while the main feature is playing, and talkers at symphonys. "Politeness" is rarely heard in our vocabulary any more.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:24 am
I agree with you both; as a society, we have come to have a selfish society, in which pursuing our aims over others' is part and parcel of many people's daily lives. Although I like pets, I certainly would not be so rude as to put that as higher importance that someone's selling a house.

0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 04:09 am
dròm_et_rêve wrote:
I agree with you both; as a society, we have come to have a selfish society, in which pursuing our aims over others' is part and parcel of many people's daily lives. Although I like pets, I certainly would not be so rude as to put that as higher importance that someone's selling a house.

Me neither.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 05:07 am
I think that was terribly boorish behavior on the part of the pet owner.

Onyxelle-
Quote:
It was stuck in the round in front of a wooden post

Was the place where the "For Sale" sign was placed on the owner's property? One of my pet peeves are Real Estate agents who will stick metal signs in my lawn (I live on the corner) announcing a for sale Open House on my block. I wouldn't mind if the agent asked my permission. I am a good neighbor, but I certainly would like to be informed that a sign is being put on my lawn.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:17 am
Was the sign in front of the house that's for sale? Could the lost dog been from the same house?
0 Replies

trixabell

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:59 am
people dont think of other when theyr thinking of themselves on principle...i mean, the best of us has probably done something like this when stressed or upset and not thought twice about it...if the pet owner had thought about the person whose sign they were covering its possible that they would have put their sign somewhere else

im not saying its better, but the pet owner could probably plead ignorance or thoughtlessness here as opposed to selfishness into which consideration has been given.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:59 am
Phoenix, I think it's what would be called, public, or city property. It was on the corner of a busy street, on the out side of the sidewalk. I don't believe it was the same owner...I just have a feeling.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 11:29 am
Hmm, well since private signage on public property is generally illegal here, I wouldn't have any sympathy for the first or second sign-placer.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 02:52 pm
I appropriate all signs that mysteriously appear on my property...real estate, political, etc. Then I paper over them for garage sales, community meetings, etc. I haven't bought a garage sale sign in years.

One realtor did have the audacity to ask for hers back. I thought hard before handing it over. I warned her the next time, I wouldn't. No more problems with that one!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 08:10 pm
Grrrr. No putting signs on anyone else's property, no mercy on that. On public telephone poles, tacky tacky's the city and we keep them clean here. I can understand the short term announcement on a post in the immediate neighborhood. My business partner had her dobie year-old run into an electrified wire out by the pasture where she keeps her horse. He took off like lightening. She searched for hours, went home after eight hours at two a.m., and started searching again at 5 am. Yeah, he was nestled just inside the barn. I understand the panic on the dog loss.

But I am also sign crabby in the first place. Let's see, I don't mind Recent telephone pole lost and found signs, but Very recent. Touchy on that, prefer clean telephone poles or underground wiring.... Real estate signs, I'd never post over a legitimate sign in a front yard. I now live in the home of giantoid political signs, I can hardly believe it. This place is tame compared to Venice, my old home town, in terms of knockdown dragout political fray, but the signs there were relatively unobtrusive. Here they're HUGE, yuck.

As someone who understands graphics and art a little bit, I say it isn't necessarily a given that a sign be large. Interesting graphics, fairly small, can be just as much of an eyecatcher.
0 Replies

Micha

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 09:52 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
I'm afraid "inconsiderateness" in our society is rampant from shouting matches on cell phones (as if they needed to share their private info with all of us), talkers in theaters while the main feature is playing, and talkers at symphonys. "Politeness" is rarely heard in our vocabulary any more.

I agree. It would have been much simpler to place it somewhere else.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 03:15 pm
while i would not tolerate anyone putting up any kind of a sign on our lawn, we are quite used to see the telephone poles plastered with all kinds of signs. this being essentially a university city the students put up all kinds of signs : concerts at the university, political meeting at ... to demontrate for/against (anything) , tuturing given/wanted ... you name it, we got it. the city usually goes around to clean up the poles every now and then. the "public" posting doesn't particularly bother me. hbg
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 10 Jan, 2004 03:23 pm
ossobuco wrote:

But I am also sign crabby in the first place. Let's see, I don't mind Recent telephone pole lost and found signs, but Very recent. Touchy on that, prefer clean telephone poles or underground wiring.... Real estate signs, I'd never post over a legitimate sign in a front yard. I now live in the home of giantoid political signs, I can hardly believe it. This place is tame compared to Venice, my old home town, in terms of knockdown dragout political fray, but the signs there were relatively unobtrusive. Here they're HUGE, yuck.

As someone who understands graphics and art a little bit, I say it isn't necessarily a given that a sign be large. Interesting graphics, fairly small, can be just as much of an eyecatcher.

It's interesting; back in Birmingham, in the worst parts of the suburbs, people start to cover closed-down shops with out-of-date signs advertising mediocre singers/gigs usually the day after they close... and they often put these tacky paper posters upon the wals of people's houses without permission.

0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » I thought this was rather mean & selfish
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 02:07:46