Are you a father (mother) figure to someone?

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:21 pm
Shortly before Christmas, a man who has worked for me for six months told me I was a father figure for him. I was slightly taken aback, since I had considered us buddies. Also, an ex son-in-law treated me as a father figure until we had a falling out. I don't know how to live up to the image. It is as much unsettling as flattering to one who has not yet accepted being elderly as part of his persona.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,189 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fealola

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:36 pm
That seems like the ultimate compliment. Don't try to live up to anything. Just do what you've been doing all along. That's how you got there.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 07:48 pm
Why, yes; I guess you are right. Myself, I chose the writer, Philip Wylie, for my own father figure, unbeknownst to him. It began in 1960, when I discovered his writings and lasted until he died, about 1969. I accepted his philosophy, as I essentially still do, even when I found points about which to differ. He was a conservative politically, and I was of the Peace Movement.
0 Replies

beebo

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:43 pm
I would be careful. Just like your son- in- law, a falling out may be inevitable. People who look for father/ mother figures usually did not have such a great relationship with the parent they are trying to replace. Inevitably, they recreate that same screwed up pattern. Really, they are creating the pattern and you are just along for the ride.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:50 pm
Thanks for the advise, beebo. I don't get into many emotional blowouts with people. I play it low key and disengage when people become that kind of burden.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:53 pm
Interesting point, beebo. That has been my experience. One of my employees had a terrible relationship with her mother, felt abandoned in many ways though she wasn't literally, she saw me as a sort of a mother/ big sister figure (though we were very close in age!) and took it very hard, and very personally, when I quit my job to be a stay-at-home mom.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:54 pm
Just saw your response, Edgar -- as in my example just now, the disengaging itself can be a problem.

But yeah, just keep doing what you're doing. I think beebo's point is a good one to keep in the back of your head, though.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 08:55 pm
The man I speak of is 43. If he can't take a little disappointment by now he's in for a hard life.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 8 Jan, 2004 09:19 pm
Oh, for sure.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 03:51 am
As soz and beebo have said, being in the position of father/mother figure is volatile; I would just continue treating him as you did before. I was a mother figure to lots of people at University, but I suppose that was because I listened to them for hours, and did the washing up. It didn't change the friendship between them and I, though.

Still, things like this can work out really well, too; my father chose a house instead of custody of me (and then, when he saw how well I'd done, he tried to claw his way back into my life, asshole Sad) and my father figure was my Politics teacher, a really compassionate and engaging guy, the kind of person who should be a teacher as he befriends everyone whom he teaches--- and he and I have been corresponding for the last fifteen years.

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 9 Jan, 2004 06:02 am
For sure, I don't treat the man differently than before. He is a newly born again Christian and I an atheist. I constantly remind him that I don't see many things the way he does. Except for that we have an excellent relation, particularly when working.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Are you a father (mother) figure to someone?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 06:29:05