my world view of solipsism and eternal recurrence

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 12:00 pm
For me to imagine a life existing, is for me to imagine myself living the life. Therefore I see no difference between a life existing, and me living the life. A life existing, and me living the life are one and the same thing.

My life is the only life I’m living, and me living a life and a life existing are equivalent, therefore my life is the only life that exists.

And since a sequential order of lives is impossible, since such a sequential order cannot be observed, there cannot exist other lives relative in time to my life and to each other. ie my life is not part of a sequentiality of lives.

And since complete non-existence existing would be a contradiction, non-existence has to not exist, and existence has to exist. Therefore there is no such thing as death. Therefore when my life ends, there will still be life.

Since there will not exist a different life upon the end of my life, from the impossibility of my life being part of a sequentiality of lives, there can only be my life upon the end of my life. My life must eternally recur. Existence is my life eternally recurring.

You all will surely disagree with my world view. You will assert that your life exists, and that instead of my life being the one life that exists forever, perhaps it is your life that is the one life that exists forever. But for you to do so would only be rational.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 7
No top replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 05:26 pm
@yakmunch,
I think you've gone a really long time without a blow job.
JLNobody

Reply Sun 29 May, 2011 10:57 pm
@izzythepush,
Gizzythepushpull why do you say that?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 06:39 am
@JLNobody,
Mostly because I think this eternal naval gazing results from dissatisfaction.
0 Replies

yakmunch

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 07:06 am
i understand your hostility with me, and perhaps I deserved that remark. after all, I just doubted your very consciousness.

I may be wrong about my life being the only life that ever exists. Even though my life is the only life to exist when it exists, I suppose it may be part of a sequential order of lives, which perhaps consists of everyone's life. Whereas the sequential order of lives is finite in order to avoid an infinite regress into the past of experience, and the sequential order of lives eternally recurs to satisfy the neccessity of eternal life. So in other words, I suppose I may live everyone's life one by one. I just have a hard time concieving of how lives can exist in a definite sequential order. Who's to say what life follows what life? How can there be an order to seperate lives?
izzythepush

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 08:21 am
@yakmunch,
I wasn't being hostile. You're quite free to doubt my existance if you like. As a devotee of solipsism haven't you ever wondered why there aren't more of you.
0 Replies

G H

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 11:57 am
@yakmunch,
Quote:
So in other words, I suppose I may live everyone's life one by one.

There would be no continuance of "you" (identity from this life) into another life, anyway, just the conjunction of another life starting, without recollection of the former one. We're completely at the mercy of how a particular embodied memory informs itself about the current status and history of the one life it has available to itself. We might just as well be wildly speculating that a single continuum of experience is embracing all lives simultaneously, since each one of them would be isolated to retaining memory only of their own current situation and past. None of them would have access to reflecting upon the events of the others, or the integrated whole of the overarching experience, so as to verify the circumstance.

It's all just pissing in the wind. Sober social enterprises need not bother with what lacks evidence, practical effectiveness, or resists falsification attempts. But such options might have emotional or motivating value to the individual. Solipsism for instance, is not a possibility for society, and thus it's futile for the individual to even be presenting such to society as a serious possibility open to herself/himself. It's a silent option. And quasi-religions that don't fit into "sober social enterprises" likewise might find value in the other metaphysical possibilities, but confined to themselves rather than encroaching upon the latter.
JLNobody

Reply Mon 30 May, 2011 03:35 pm
@G H,
Yakmunch, in a way I too am a solipsist, but in my case the only mind is that of Brahma.
0 Replies