youtube and other sources Golden Age Radio

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 09:20 pm
Likely not many people know that John Dehner starred as Paladin in Have Gun Will Travel
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 4,564 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 10:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
the "commercials" are wild, ed...
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 01:11 am
@edgarblythe,
Try X-Minus One, a half-hour science fiction radio drama series broadcast from April 24, 1955 to January 9, 1958 on NBC.

DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.archive.org/details/XMinus1_A

The first 15 episodes of X Minus One were new versions of Dimension X episodes, but the remainder were adaptations by NBC staff writers, including Ernest Kinoy and George Lefferts, of newly published science fiction stories by leading writers in the field, including Isaac Asimov, Ray Bradbury, Philip K. Dick, Robert A. Heinlein, Frederik Pohl and Theodore Sturgeon, along with some original scripts by Kinoy and Lefferts.

Included in the series were adaptations of Robert Sheckley's "Skulking Permit," Bradbury's "Mars Is Heaven," Heinlein's "Universe" and "The Green Hills of Earth", " Pohl’s "The Tunnel under the World," J. T. McIntosh’s "Hallucination Orbit," Fritz Leiber’s "A Pail of Air" and George Lefferts' "The Parade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X_Minus_One

Have over a 100 30 minute episodes on my Ipod
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 04:48 am

Check out the photo of the Gunsmoke cast.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 09:43 am
http://www.otr.net/

Lots of Jack Benny, Fibber McGee and Molly, Great Gildersleeve, and a selection of other shows.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:15 pm
@kuvasz,
I once bought a CD set for my brother, featuring X-Minus One shows. Very few sci-fi series have been able to equal that show for quality.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:20 pm
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:24 pm
This is a bit off topic, but relevant, nevertheless. I discovered a great website:

http://www.loc.gov/jukebox/

The Library of Congress has compiled a bunch of the old RCA recordings from 1901-24. Here you can listen to some of the marvelous old recordings from the beginning of the 20th century, Caruso, Jolson, etc. It's lots of fun.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:28 pm
@Phoenix32890,
Thanks, phoenix. You possibly know that I love that music.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 06:15 pm
@kuvasz,
X-Minus One is broadcast by the local radio station at the college. Love that show.
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 06:21 pm
Red Hot Jazz isnt radio, but is transcriptions of damn near every early jazz, blues, or jug band from 1900 thru at least the 40s, amazing stuff. Also if you like old timey country and gospel try Juneberry 78s.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 07:37 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

Likely not many people know that John Dehner starred as Paladin in Have Gun Will Travel

You're right! I did not know that! Wink

edgarblythe wrote:
Check out the photo of the Gunsmoke cast.

The guy in the photo with the hat on looks like William Conrad:

http://cache2.allpostersimages.com/p/LRG/27/2770/LUXTD00Z/posters/william-conrad.jpg
http://s11.allstarpics.net/images/orig/p/8/p8jwtb1jzo18zj1t.jpg
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 07:41 pm
@Reyn,
William Conrad was Matt Dillon. Parley Baer was Chester. Howard McNeer (who played Floyd the barber on Andy Griffith) was Doc. I can't recall Kitty's name.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 07:43 pm
Here is the radio show that scared the heck out of people
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 08:23 pm
@edgarblythe,
Georgia Ellis.

sponsored by post toasties, the heap good corn flakes...
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:05 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:

William Conrad was Matt Dillon.

Ah, so it was him! I just guessed! Laughing
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 09:14 pm
X Minus 1 was great, and I got into science fiction early, sitting in the back seat of our 48 Oldsmobile reading books my dad had checked out of the library, so listened to all the other SF radio, "Tom Corbett, Space Cadet" (loosely based on Heinlein's Space Cadet"), "Space Patrol", "Starr of Space".

Some guy has been going around, tracking down the companies who inherited the rights to old-time radio, and buying up the rights. Nobody had cared much about enforcing copyrights on them for fifty years, but he's been reissuing them on CD, and taking a lot of the shows out of de facto public domain, so it's getting harder to find them.

One great little known show was the short-lived "Bold Venture", starring Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, more or less reprising their roles in I think it was "To Have and Have Not", Bogiie as the world-weary expat with the decrepit boat for hire who'll take any kind of a job, and Bacall as the torch singer cast ashore. As of a couple years ago, at least, you could download pretty much the entire series--I think there were only a dozen or so episodes.
edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:04 pm
@MontereyJack,
I remember listening to Bold Venture. I was a little surprised it had so few episodes. I was used to shows running year after year.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 27 May, 2011 10:09 pm
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 28 May, 2011 09:42 pm
0 Replies