7
   

Is there anything we can know for sure?

 
 
Render
 
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 05:23 pm
Is there anything we can know with complete accuracy?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 7 • Views: 2,389 • Replies: 33
No top replies

 
Ragman
 
  2  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 05:40 pm
@Render,
Yes. We are certain of the fact that we cannot know all things.
0 Replies
 
rosborne979
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 06:52 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:
Is there anything we can know for sure?

Only that you cannot know anything for sure.
0 Replies
 
maxdancona
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 06:55 pm
@Render,
Quote:
Is there anything we can know with complete accuracy?


I am not sure.
0 Replies
 
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 06:57 pm
@Render,
http://www.mcglaun.com/euler.gif

Rap
0 Replies
 
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:01 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:
Is there anything we can know with complete accuracy?
Yes, that stupidity are endlessly.
You attack the problem in a wrong manner. It's about psycology, if you suffer from mental defect, like psycosis or skitzophrenia you will precive things in a distorted way.
Also if you can't exceed the psycopathbarrier you may also underestimate things.
..etc.

You ask ignorent questions, you should study some psycology and neurology, besides that, study real life, observe!
reasoning logic
 
  0  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 07:26 pm
@HexHammer,
Could both me and you also be lacking in these areas or do we understand these things empirically?
north
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 08:45 pm
@Render,
Render wrote:

Is there anything we can know with complete accuracy?


0+0=o
0 Replies
 
laughoutlood
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:54 pm
@Render,
Diversity.
north
 
  1  
Reply Tue 24 May, 2011 11:58 pm
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

Diversity.


true
laughoutlood
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:00 am
@north,
or false

we haven"t decided
north
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 12:11 am
@laughoutlood,
laughoutlood wrote:

or false

we haven"t decided


why ?
0 Replies
 
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 01:54 am
Russell's Paradox--from set theory

Let S be a set consisting of x elements where x is not x. Suppose S is a subset of S ; then, by definition, S is a subset of not S . Likewise, if S is a subset of not S , then by definition S is a subset of S . Therefore, there's a contradiction.

IOW ``If the barber shaves all those who do not themselves shave, does he shave himself?''

Rap
north
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 02:24 am
@raprap,
raprap wrote:

Russell's Paradox--from set theory

Let S be a set consisting of x elements where x is not x. Suppose S is a subset of S ; then, by definition, S is a subset of not S . Likewise, if S is a subset of not S , then by definition S is a subset of S . Therefore, there's a contradiction.

IOW ``If the barber shaves all those who do not themselves shave, does he shave himself?''

Rap


yes
north
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 02:31 am

the difference between heat and cold

that without the sun this planet would be ice cold
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:03 am
@north,
Contradiction, the barber shaves someone who shaves himself--he shaves those who don't.

Rap
0 Replies
 
raprap
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:09 am
@north,
There is no physical thing as cold--heat is molecular energy, usually as motion.

So your statement should be 'without the energy from the sun, this planet would have less energy'

Rap
fresco
 
  2  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 05:31 am
@Render,
Quote:
Is there anything we can know with complete accuracy?


Forget about the barber !

"Accuracy" is a relative term used in the context of physical measurement.
Hence "complete accuracy" is an oxymoron.

If you mean "complete certainty" then tends to imply logical results which follow from unproved axioms (Godel). Russells paradox is merely another nail in the coffin of the view that set-thoretic logic can be the basis for the "correspondence theory of truth".

If you mean "absolute truth", there is a lengthy ongoing thread on that subject.

.....and all of these beg the question of the meaning of "to know" !
0 Replies
 
Old Goat
 
  2  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:13 am
@Render,
"Is there anything we can know with complete accuracy? "

I certainly know that if my Aunt had testicles he'd have been my uncle.
HexHammer
 
  1  
Reply Wed 25 May, 2011 07:51 am
@reasoning logic,
reasoning logic wrote:

Could both me and you also be lacking in these areas or do we understand these things empirically?
You say this because you don't know anything of psycology, go read up on it, well ..neurology too!
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
  1. Forums
  2. » Is there anything we can know for sure?
Copyright © 2022 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/27/2022 at 02:49:16