Trumpet question (by request)

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:32 pm
@ehBeth,
Once in awhile, if you practice and eat all your veggies you can play like these two.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emdM2uX2CWA&feature=related
ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 07:49 pm
@farmerman,
Love Yo Yo, but I'd rather be able to play like this

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 May, 2011 08:59 pm
@ehBeth,
I was gonna post the JAkey tape too but Even hes taken a turn to the romantic.
My actual reason for posting the Yo Yo and Chris tape was for Chris Botti. Who has captured the place of "first trumpet" in an international jazz band .

I never like Miles because his main message was counterpoint and dissonance, but Chris Botti has been able to marry some smoothness to trumpet jazz that is more like a quartet version of Chuck MAngione in his prime.

A trumpet is a difficult instrument to play softly but when its done right, its a beautiful thing. Heres Chris Botti playing Ave MAria

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1lx38-jxWY
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 08:51 am
I found this trumpet on Amazon:

http://amzn.com/B000FLHSAY

It's on sale for $220. The reviews are very, very good for Amazon (I buy a lot from them). The only negative review is from someone who objects to the trumpet on principle but has never actually laid eyes (or ears) on it.

I've investigated lease-to-own and it's $26/ month. That's good but then I enquired into how much the total would be (how long I'd be leasing). I was quoted "depending on what brand you get, a new trumpet goes for around $925 and a used one goes for $595 - $815."

Whew, pricey.

Sozlet's already tried a trumpet and liked it, but not with braces.

I've emailed her music teacher to get his take on the Amazon trumpet, no response yet.

Since there are only two left I'm thinking of just ordering the thing to have on hand, and return it if needed. Maybe even have it in reserve, try the lease trumpet, and if the trumpet thing tanks then I'm out only the cost of the lease (and return the Amazon trumpet -- I think I have 30 days to return it). But if she likes the trumpet, return the leased one (stop the lease) and then switch to the Amazon one.

Anyway, any thoughts?

The lease company is the one recommended by the music program but if I can get a good new trumpet for $220 as opposed to $925, I'd like to.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 8 Aug, 2011 09:16 am
@sozobe,
If the sound quality is good (and the reviews seem to support this), then it looks to be a great deal.
sozobe

Reply Sun 14 Aug, 2011 02:55 pm
@DrewDad,
The music teacher was unenthusiastic in his response. His specific concerns (materials and where it was made) didn't seem totally justified (it's made out of various metals and was made in the U.S.A.) but that gave me pause.

I went to the recommended used-instrument store today, looked at a few trumpets, decided to go ahead and get one of those. It's in pretty good shape and the store has a good return policy.

Basically, if the music teacher nixes it for any reason they will either fix the problem or if it's unfixable, take the instrument back, full refund. If the music teacher is fine with it but sozlet changes her mind re: playing the trumpet, or if we don't want it anymore for any other reason, they'll buy it back for 50% of the cost.

Hope it's the right decision, I went with the mob on this one (it's what almost everyone does for band if they don't already have access to a used instrument).

They cleaned it at the store, we boiled the mouthpiece for good measure and she's now doing her best dying elephant impression. Super incredibly loud dying elephant. Whoa. I can hear it QUITE well, which never happens. And I thought I'd be happy that I wouldn't have to suffer through beginner's tootles.

Oh and thus far the braces have been a non-issue, yay.
0 Replies