Breastfeeding a dog with Mastitis

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 10:00 am
Hi there.
I just wanted to know, if a dog had Mastitis and her breast was tested positive for Bacteria and was about 20 times it's normal size and she could barely move. And had painkillers and antibiotics pescribed for her to take. Would you say it was safe for her to breastfeed after 24 hours - or would you say she should wait for the infection/ swelling to go down.
And what implications could there be to a dog feeding puppies with a still inflamed and infected breast. Could it cause injury?
Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 3,929 • Replies: 4
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 12:22 pm
Your vet should have advised you on this. Here's a link for more info;

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/breedingdogs/mastitisindogs.htm
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 01:26 pm
@MarthaLM,
we sometimes feed lambs from ewes that have begun treating for mastitis. However, if the teat of the animal is very hot or very cold, you are at two ends of the infection that neither bodes well. If the teat is very hot, the infection is in there and we dont like to use the teat . Our sheep vet is at New Bolton Vet SChool just down the road.
If the teat is very cold, the damage has been done and the teat will probably never be any use again.

You can, I believe, milk out and use one of the good teats to get some colostrum into the pup. Is this within the first day or so after the puppy's birth?
0 Replies

MarthaLM

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 05:21 pm
The puppies were 4 weeks old. She was fine the night before. In the morning her breast was about 20 times the size (literally) of the others. I took her to the vet and they told me to feed again after 24 hours.
The next evening, as her breast had lost about 60% of the size and swelling, I let the puppies feed after about 30 hours. But were the puppies suckled on the nipple, the area that was getting sucked next to it went purple whilst they fed. The next morning that mark had turned green and burst open when I touched it. Now Ive been told they shouldn't have breastfed till the infection went down. She has now had life saving surgery and has lost an area of skin and flesh about the size of my hand. Trying to find out what was right.
farmerman

Reply Thu 21 Apr, 2011 06:42 pm
@MarthaLM,
sounds weird. Ive never seen mastitis get that bad. In sheep,we call that condition "blue bag" and its very serious. if we lose a case of one teat going "hard and cold" it was after several days and weeks of fighting infection, but weve never had a case of blue bag. Blue bag can be fatal to the mother if not cared for really well.
Stop trying to fid out what the vet did qwrong and treat the mother as if her life depends on it , cause it does.
If you have doubts about your vet Id call another vet to get a second opinion SOunds like the damage has been done and now youve gotta treat her to save her life so the infection doesnt cause her to lose her life. The puppies can be bottle fed while the mother is being treated.
This is not something to wait and see if its gonna get better. Do you love this dog? IS she part of the family or are you just using her as a puppy farm?
Im being harsh because youve gotta get her real competent treatment so she doesnt DIE on you.
Im just a sheep producer and have had to deal with some cases of mastitis but have been lucky in over 10000 head over 20 years to NOT have a singlke case of Blue Bag. Its been luck and diet mostly.
, and we know the initial symptoms so we can intervene early .
Even before our lambs are dropped we can see mastitis signs.

I hope it goes well and I hope she pulls through nicely.Even if she does, Im not sure Id breed her anymore cause this may reccur and she will always have the one teat as useless (itll never produce milk again)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Breastfeeding a dog with Mastitis
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 06:43:50