ban it in 2004

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:06 am
I'm not much for "banning" things -- if by that you mean laws against them.

But I do want to say this about using cell phones in public:

If you would not spit on the floor in a public place -- you really should not be speaking on a cell phone either. Fact is, I consider someone spitting out a really healthy ginder in public more appropriate than someone speaking on a cell phone in public -- although I would acknowledge that neither is particularly appetizing.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:07 am
I like BPB's list a lot, but if I could ban just one thing it would be litter. I hate litter... all kinds and everywhere: paper trash, plastic bags, broken glass, cigarette butts. Ugh.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:18 am
Oh, one other thought -- since that last one was such a pleasure to share.

I don't really care one way or the other if they pass laws against using hand-held cell phones while driving in general...but I would love to see a law passed that penalizes using a hand-held cell phone while making any kind of a turn -- with the same severity as whatever the state uses as penalties for driving while under the influence of alcohol.

Of all the stupid, discourteous, unsafe things I have ever seen -- watching someone attempt a one-handed turn while talking on a hand-held cell phone probably is the most grating.

I hope states pass laws penalizing the practice with at least a 6-month driver privilege suspension - second offence: two-year suspension.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 10:54 am
Hey, OAK. I say we ban all the states north of the Mason-Dixon line. Smile

Seriously, I think banning anything is ridiculous. All people should have a right to choose, and banning is sorta like telling your kids not to put beans in their ears.

BEANS IN MY EARS
Serendipity Singers

My mommy said not to put beans in my ears
Beans in my ears, beans in my ears
My mommy said not to put beans in my ears
Beans in my ears

Now why would I want to put beans in my ears
Now why would I want to put beans in my ears
Beans in my ears

You can't hear the teacher with beans in your ears,
Beans in your ears, beans in your ears
You can't hear the teacher with beans in your ears,
Beans in your ears

What's that you say, let's put beans in our ears
Beans in our ears, beans in our ears
What's that you say, let's put beans in our ears
Beans in our ears

You'll have to speak up I got beans in my ears
You'll have to speak up I got beans in my ears
Beans in her ears

Say mommy we've gone and put beans in our ears
Say mommy we've gone and put beans in our ears
Beans in our ears

That's nice boys just don't put those beans in your ears
That's nice boys just don't put those beans in your ears
Beans in our ears

I think that all grown ups have beans in their ears
Beans in their ears, beans in their ears
I think that all grown ups have beans in their ears
Beans in their ears
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 11:20 am
they just started a ban on smoking in all public places here as of Jan 1 ....

for now they've exempted clubs, bars and pop/rock stages, but for example in train stations it's now officially forbidden, and on the platforms you gotta stand near the "smoking pillars".

<shakes head> I dont smoke myself, but this is getting positively ridiculous.

clubs, cafes and so on are supposed to go in a few years. i cant imagine it, but you dont know how far they'll go ...
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 11:22 am
on the other hand, the newest trains have no-cellphone zones, and that, i think, is a really good idea <nods>.
0 Replies

innie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:35 pm
California banned smoking in all public places. They are so much more health aware then Ohio... we still have smoking or non smoking in restaraunts, which I think is ridiculous. I thikn it is rude to smoke in public, if other people don't smoke it's because they don't wan tto breath it in.. so it's rude to force them to be in an area where they would have to anyway. IMHO, anyway.

twisted_ferret, yes, I like Rush Limbaugh
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:38 pm
innie, Do you approve of Rush? You're sending mixed messages here.
0 Replies

innie

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:39 pm
I don't always agree with Rush, but I like listening to his show alot. So I wouldn't want him banned.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:45 pm
All right. Gotcha! I wouldn't want him banned either. Just because I think he is a jerk and harmful to one's health, doesn't mean that banning him is the way to go.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 02:47 pm
I think what should be banned is the inclusion in movies where the targeted group are those under 10 adult themed jokes, phrases and language. Some examples? Cat in the Hat, Scooby Doo, Haunted Mansion....I could probably name a few more if I took my daughter to more childrens movies...
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:10 pm
Add Shrek to that list.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 04:22 pm
soap operas, daytime chat shows, reality shows.
I would like a TV channel devoted to entirely to Westerns tho
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 05:28 pm
Get a horse, oakman. Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 05:30 pm
and, Onyx, girl. Someone observed that it was better to watch stuff with your children and explain away the hype and false demands.
0 Replies

katya8

Reply Fri 2 Jan, 2004 06:06 pm
I don't really believe in banning things, but if I had to, I'd ban all ugly architecture, all ugly visual art, and all ugly music.......with me, of course, having the power to decide on what's ugly and what isn't. :wink:
0 Replies

TwistedFerret

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 05:49 pm
Jespah wrote:
I have you now, my pasta-wielding friend! Prepare to meet ...

... the tomato sauce.

Dadadada...

Oh no! Shocked Not the TOMATO SAUCE!!!!
0 Replies

TwistedFerret

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 05:50 pm
And I say ban "innie" belly buttons. No one likes those - all doctors who tie off the umbilical cord like that should be banned.

[Note for the Humorless, who may or may not have "innies": That's a joke. :thumbsup:]
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:43 pm
Letty wrote:
and, Onyx, girl. Someone observed that it was better to watch stuff with your children and explain away the hype and false demands.

some1 is 1/2 right, one should watch stuff with their kiddies (i do) & thankfully their not old enough to even realize the stuff they're hearing...but I hate sitting down to watch a flick with them and the next thing I know, I'm having to cross off another movie off of the 'get this for the girls' list. I've resorted to no more non-cartoom flicks in the theaters, and previewing 'kids' movies before I rent them for my girls....

ban the advertising of those movies as if they're just for kids.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 3 Jan, 2004 09:45 pm
I forgot to add the crotcheted rubber. It's got to go. Absolutely useless.

And it's companion piece the wicker waste basket has become obsolete for the active person as well.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » ban it in 2004
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 06:33:05