please explain the phrases of this small paragraph

bubu

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:38 pm
The approach to the revival of Indian agriculture seems to be incremental rather than holistic strategy. It is important to stress that growth and equity should be pursued simultaneously rather than following 'growth first and then equity' approach.

I find this paragraph very difficult to understand. Can someone please explain to me the following phrases:-

1 Incremental growth strategy in agriculture
2 Holistic growth strategy in agriculture
3 Equity in agriculture

I tried hard used several dictionaries but failed to understand the meaning.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 539 • Replies: 4
No top replies

engineer

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:52 pm
@bubu,
1> To continue doing what you are doing today, but slightly better (easier, faster, less effective)
2> To review the entire process and make revolutionary changes throughout the entire process to improve it. (Harder and more challenging, potentially much bigger improvement)
3> Equity means improving performance for everyone instead of a select group.
roger

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 05:55 pm
@engineer,
Agree, but when someone uses the word 'holistic', I lock up the checkbook and guard my wallet. They are usually trying to sell something they are not prepared to describe or define.

The comment, of course, has nothing to do with the original question.
0 Replies

bubu

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 06:54 pm
@engineer,
Thank you

But I would still like to know what equity in agriculture refer to in the context of th original question. Does it refer to the equal distribution of agricultural products or fair distribution of benefits to the farmers? Or is it something else?
engineer

Reply Fri 1 Apr, 2011 07:03 pm
@bubu,
It is changing the system so that the benefits are more equally distributed rather than making small changes to an existing system that benefits a specific group like wealthy land owners. I'm extrapolating since I haven't read the full article, but that is how I read what you posted.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » please explain the phrases of this small paragraph
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 10:11:59