New Years Eve...Ordinary This Year

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:11 am
I have worked every New Years Eve I can remember as an adult either in a band ,a disc Jockey or coordinating and decorating entire events with squinney.

This year I am unemployed on New Years Eve as are a lot of my contemporaries in the biz. A testament to the thriving new economy. Rolling Eyes

For 36.00 lousy dollars I am going midnight bowling with my wife and cubs, except for my female cub, who is going to an overnight with a friend.

This particular bowling alley doesn't even serve beer. It is a family establishment. Just an ordinary family night together. It will be different. It will not be exciting.

BUT

It will be great.....I can't wait.....hope you do something you like and Happy New Year
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 526 • Replies: 16
No top replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:13 am
Spending a much needed quiet night at home with Mrs. SealPoet...

I've noticed that the New Year comes whether I welcome it in or no. Same as I've noticed that my not watching the Super Bowl has no effect on the score.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:16 am
I know this will put me on the top of the McCarthy list...but I hate football.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:16 am
They are estimating that 1.5 million people will partake in Boston's "First Night" activities tonight. That's almost double the number of people from last year.

Some of that increase is due to the weather (it's been unseasonably warm this week) but people apparently aren't to overly concerned.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:29 am
Just home from my party! A lovely one - only problem is - I'm still sober!

Happy New Year to you left-behind folk...heehee...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 09:33 am
Quote:
I know this will put me on the top of the McCarthy list...but I hate football.

I am with you, comrade. A series of committee meetings punctuated by brief moments of sanitized violence.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:17 am
It'll be a quiet night at home for me as well Bear. Going out to get beer & wine shortly. My cousin will be coming over later with his own beer and mom, son, cousin and myself will be playing some cards while getting drunk. Cousin will be here, so it actually won't be very quiet at all, lol :-D
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:22 am
I am going to stay home with my husband. I may just get drunk, 'cause I can't remember the last time I did. Then I will get on the computer, click on to A2K, and.......................................... Laughing
0 Replies

SealPoet

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 10:34 am
WooHoo! Phoenix promises drunken ramblings!
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:03 am
I will not be on this website while drunk. I'll be too busy making an ass out myself at my own jam.

I never understood what the attraction of First Night Boston...1.5 million people to see ice sculptures and fireworks in normally freezing weather? I'd rather dunk my head in ice water for 3 minutes.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:17 am
No kidding I went to one highly touted first night in Raleigh once....even my cubs who were officially little kids at the time called it a waste of time and money and I'm sure ours is less grand than Bostons.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:22 am
I hope that all your nights go well! I will most hopefully be in Munich by midnight, but at the moment I am driving (or rather, being driven) very fast somewhere near Nürnberg. And I might just stumble in at about 2.00 am Munich time to wish you all a prosperous, happy new year.

0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:24 am
I, too, have never understood the appeal of standing around with thousands of strangers so that we can all experience the same thing simultaneously. As if we have something in common. We don't.

Now something unexpected--being there with strangers can make for a powerful bonding experience. But waiting for midnight with a huge group? How exciting....
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:37 am
Do we ever realise how all of us are all sharing this minute and this hour? The enormity is awe-inspiring.

Personally, I don't think that getting drunk and puking the next day is an apt start to the new year.

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 11:41 am
I went to 5 or 6 First Nights here in Toronto. Used to love it, til it started to get really big and commercialized. The biggest upside, from my perspective, was that it was alcohol-free. Then there's being outside - always a pro (even the year it was -40 celsius), amazing alternate world music options, and getting my face painted - all stuff I love love love.

This year, I'll stay home with the dogs, talk to Setanta on the phone a coupla times, and go outside with the dogs to meet with some other dogs and their human companions (if I don't fall asleep first).
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 01:32 pm
Bear, I hear ya. Sucks here too, and I am finding myself without a New Year's gig for the first time in 5 years. However, it's also the first time in 5 years I have been home to spend New Year's with Mrs. cav, and she's cooking. Quiet night at home it shall be. We do indeed plan to drink. There is a 1995 Bollinger R.D. champagne in the fridge, plus a bottle of white, lots of beer, and some absolutely fantastic homemade Bailey's Irish Cream that a friend of ours makes. She says she'll take the secret to her grave, but in time, I think I can figure it out, heh heh.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2003 01:53 pm
Enjoy big guy....maybe business will pick up in 2004 if people begin to get hopeful again.....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New Years Eve...Ordinary This Year
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/06/2024 at 04:50:05