What it takes to get on the No Fly List

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:40 am
This article illustrates what burns me about the no-fly list. How can the FBI unilaterally decide that someone who has broken no laws and never done anything remotely threatening cannot fly and allow them no reccourse? I wonder if every single person who e-mailed this cleric was similarly flagged.

Quote:
Abe Mashal, a 31-year-old dog trainer from St. Charles, says FBI agents told him he ended up on the government’s no-fly list because he exchanged e-mails with a Muslim cleric they were monitoring.

The topic: How to raise his children in an interfaith household.

Mashal said he has never had any links to terror or terrorists and is a “patriotic,” honorably discharged Marine Corps veteran.

He found out he’d been flagged last April, when he tried to board a flight to Spokane, Wash., to train dogs for a client. Since then, his family members and friends have been questioned, and he said he has lost business because he isn’t allowed to fly.

Mashal is one of 17 plaintiffs in a lawsuit filed in June by the American Civil Liberties Union over the list.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,291 • Replies: 9
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:19 am
@engineer,
Worse maybe, I think they still haven't come up with a way for someone to get their name removed from the list.
Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 11:57 am
@roger,
I think we may both be on the list now that we've commented on the list.
roger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 01:35 pm
@Irishk,
They've got my first name. Irish is a common given name, but how many k's can there be?
engineer

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 02:35 pm
@roger,
Just don't send the Iman an email and you should be safe. The part of the article about them offering to get him off the list if he will spy for them is really appalling. They are essentially blackmailing him.
Irishk

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 02:48 pm
@roger,
Zey haf zeir ways!

(I should probably tell you that it won't take much for me to give you up immediately lol I'll cave and agree to whatever)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 03:00 pm
@engineer,
Yes it is, and yes they are.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 06:26 pm
@engineer,
I want to be on the list. Did they say which Imam I should be emailing?
RABEL222

Reply Thu 24 Mar, 2011 10:52 pm
@maxdancona,
I guess any one will do.
0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 25 Mar, 2011 09:51 am
Apparently you qualify for the list if you're considered a "risk" to "civilian aviation".

Except if you're the underwear bomber whose Dad practically begged to have him placed on the list and was ignored. So part of this overkill may be CYA on behalf of TSA and DHS.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What it takes to get on the No Fly List
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/10/2024 at 08:38:10