Today I Saw a Leaf on the Property

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 11:21 am
There it lay, a malevolent bruise on the esthetic of my carefully manicured landscape. Instantly militant, I gathered an iron rake, a plastic leaf rake, blower, machette and a sling blade. I gassed the lawn mower and chain saw just in case. I first collared the offending material and stuffed it into a plastic bag. That, I consigned for the Tuesday A.M. trash pick up. Next, I systematically combed the lawn areas for any speck of debris, eventually compiling a hill of dried grass clippings, three or four twigs, an untenanted snail shell and a half bitten acorn that had been practically buried in the soft earth. I paused, considering. I had raked the lawn, horizontal with the street. What if -? I again grabbed the rake and stroked it across the grass, this time, pulling diagonally. The action raised a small hill that I easily disposed of. Then, proudly, triumphantly, I surveyed this kingdom I ruled. And, yet, as I returned the last tool to its proper place, I was appalled to feel a gust of wind sweeping the neighborhood. Feeling betrayed, I turned, and there were three leaves settling in the yard. With tears in my eyes, I deployed my arsenal and set ,once again, to work.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 9 • Views: 2,048 • Replies: 24
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:17 pm
H-m-m-m
No dog poop to clean up?
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:21 pm
@edgarblythe,
Perhaps you've taken leaf of your senses? Deciduously so!
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:22 pm
@PUNKEY,
I wrote this after watching my newest neighbors spend each and every day, raking like mad, for the last six months. They keep their dog in a kennel in the back yard, so, no poop.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:23 pm
@Ragman,
This scenario plays out in countless yards every day.
Ragman

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:25 pm
@edgarblythe,
Give 'em an inch, they take a yard!

Re your neighbors: way to anal retentive. They probably want to teach their dogs to use the toilet and flush afterwards and they vacuum the dog, providing they even let it in their house.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 01:53 pm
@edgarblythe,
We once lived across a narrow street from an elementary school. At one point, the school had a gardener use a machine that would scoop up the leaves, a machine of tremendous noise making. He would use the machine for only a few leaves, those being dropped from an "evergreen" tree that didn't lose the leaves all at once. Husband and I often worked at home, he a writer and me with a design studio, so the generalized presence of leafblowers in the neighborhood was enough aggravation without this nonsense too. I took a photo of the fellow using this - I'd have to go through my photo albums to find that and describe the machine better - with the huge machine to capture two leaves.. and paid a visit to the principal's office.
Never saw that machine again...
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Mar, 2011 04:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, I see. It likely involved more effort to use the machine. Plus it costs money to operate.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 03:45 am
You should tackle this problem at the source edgar.

Cut the damn tree down!

0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:03 pm
Back when I lived in East Boston, one of my neighbors cut down the only
tree in his yard, paved the whole thing, and laid down AstroTurf.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:12 pm
@George,
I knew a guy in Houston concreted the front yard. He had gravel areas and a few potted plants.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:13 pm
@George,
Similar here. Not that my yard is so lovely, but one of these days..
Anyway, one of my pleasures had been to look at a house kittycorner from me, across the street. It had a gorgeous fulgent yellow climbing rose anchoring the landing in front of the door at a corner post, and not all that close to the door. Gone!!

Now it's just another rock yard.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:27 pm
I read my opening post again. That ain't writing. It's typing.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:27 pm
With two fingers.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
I enjoyed it myself.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 08:32 pm
@edgarblythe,
Like many of us, Edgar, you are too harsh of a self-critic. I consider that a pretty good writing excerise. I like some of the ones I've read on your website a bit better, but it's not bad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 09:00 pm
Affected, pretentious.
Ragman

Reply Mon 21 Mar, 2011 09:12 pm
@edgarblythe,
published?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 04:57 am
Ah, but you should have seen the stuff I intended to write. I would have won a Pulitzer Prize, had I gotten it down, just so.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 22 Mar, 2011 12:58 pm
Good writing, Edgar. And I feel the same way about the overemphasis on monoculture lawns, which are just slightly more interesting than astroturf. Or as Alan Watts called it, "Lawn order." You have to say it out loud. Maybe it's just another way of saying "anal rententive."